Windows Server 2012 Licensing question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm planning to have a VM Ware environment with two host.  Each host will have two physical processors and if I buy two Windows Server 2012 DC licenses, can I also have few guest servers running  Windows Server 2008 R2?

Thanks

Raj Neel

Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• You shouldn't ask licensing questions in a technical forum, your reseller is better suited to make sure you're complaint.

I'm far from a licensing expert, but I believe you're covered. Datacenter will allow unlimited VMs, given your amount of processors, and it would appear Windows 2008 R2 is covered under most "downgrade rights" scenarios:

https://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=l28WwBgyDZ-

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Baseline Technologies

Friday, March 4, 2016 5:33 AM
  • Hi,

for two physical Hosts(each with two CPUs), you need two wind serv datacenter licenses for unlimited VMs on both Hosts.

for wind serv licenses, you have downgrade rights to install previous Versions(2008 R2, 2008, ...) as VMs on the 2012 R2 version license.

thanks

diramoh

Friday, March 4, 2016 11:00 AM
  • Thank you
    Friday, March 4, 2016 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to active all the VMs with Windows Server 2012 R2 DataCenter key, you will need to install the Windows Server on the physical host and install all VMs on hyper-v.

Best Regards,

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 3:47 PM