none
Roaming profile users getting temporary profile message RRS feed

• Question

• Several users across two different terminal servers are being forced into using a temporary profile.  I have no way of knowing if they are logging off (despite continued re-education) or if they are just disconnecting, leaving the session to be interrupted later.  The only way I've found to fix it is to reboot the Terminal server.

If I check regedit under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList, I don't see a .bak.  I can sometimes see the ProfileImagePath is to a temp folder.

The users have a roaming profile that's saved to the fileserver upon logoff.  I can get into the folder, but if I try to go to a sub folder, I don't (as a domain admin) suddenly have access.  So the profile server isn't able to do anything either.  I could probably TAKEOWN on the folder, but that's not telling me what's causing this issue.

Is there anyway to fix this without rebooting?  Also, what could be causing this?  We've had more in the past 3 months than since I've started working here.

Ben Rollman

• Edited by brollman Wednesday, March 6, 2019 9:35 PM adding info
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 9:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please provide more information about your RDS/TS deployment:
    1. OS version of your RDS/TS systems? 
    2. Is there any change before problem happens?
    3. Relate event log about failed to load user profile?
    4. Is such problem happens on specific user credential, or specific client system?

> I can get into the folder, but if I try to go to a sub folder, I don't (as a domain admin) suddenly have access.
    Please right click the folder which is used to store roaming user profile and open its security configuration, please reference below link to check permission configuration:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/folder-redirection/deploy-roaming-user-profiles#required-permissions-for-the-file-share-hosting-roaming-user-profiles

Besides, as you had mentioned that, “I can sometimes see the ProfileImagePath is to a temp folder”, If possible, choose one of problematic user credential, and try to manually edit the ProfileImagePath entry and direct its location to shared folder. Then, re-start system and re-log on the user credential to check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 7, 2019 7:51 AM
  • 1. Terminal 2012 R2, FS is 2012

2. No specific deployment change.  Just updates, but this was happening before the updates as well.

3. Event log shows about 8 of these

Windows cannot copy file \\?\UNC\statefs\Profiles\nwisham.V2\AppData\ to location \\?\C:\Users\nwisham\AppData\. This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights. 

DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

(Music, Downloads, Desktop, Documents, etc)

and then this

Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

4. Not isolated to a specific user and it's across two different terminal/fileserver environments.  We do use something that disables an inactive user and thought it might be that, but it's happened to active users as well.

Security seems to be right.  And if I TAKEOWN on the folder it still won't let me access it.  And an icacls reset fails on a folder being used by another process.  procexplorer shows that to be the SYSTEM process. Which I can't stop without a restart.

I've tried that, but without rebooting the system, changing that path and logging in again just changes it back to temp.  I'm trying to find what's locking these and how to fix them without rebooting.

Ben Rollman

Thursday, March 7, 2019 1:30 PM
  • Hi,

>Security seems to be right.

Please make sure that you had checked all folders and make sure that problematic user account has appropriate permission on their folders. As the event you had mentioned is usually caused by permission problem.

Besides, you had mentioned that system reboot resolves such problem temporarily, and “an icacls reset fails on a folder being used by another process”. I am not sure if the process exclusive causing file/folder copying failure.

Please try “sfc /scannow” on your RDS system and check the result. Also, please make sure that there are enough free resources can be used, including CPU, DISK, Network and etc. once problem happens.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 14, 2019 9:04 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Eve Wang   

Monday, March 18, 2019 1:12 AM
  • We haven't an another issue so it's hard to troubleshoot.  I think it might have to do with one of our team shadowing terminal sessions and closing down any Users that are not active, but showing as Disconnected.  We're going to test that.

Ben Rollman

Monday, March 18, 2019 1:56 PM
  • Hi,

In most cases users will get temporary profiles if they never log off and you or scheculed task reboot the server. I was involved in project where customer had issues with this and policy on the server was configured Never on disconnect and idle sessions. After fixing this, they never had issues with temporary profiles. I changed Disconnected and Idle session log off on 3 hours and instruct the users what they need to do. As I said after this they never had issues. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. 

Monday, March 18, 2019 2:16 PM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang   

Thursday, March 28, 2019 1:45 AM
  • It had quieted down almost immediately after I'd posted this, but we had one just last week.  We thought maybe it had to do with support people using RDPsoft and logging off people who had merely disconnected, so we stopped doing that for a while just to test.  But it turns out this user hadn't been one of those.  We reiterated proper use of the terminal in that users shouldn't leave a session up overnight, so hopefully more education helps.  But I'd still like to find a better fix than rebooting every time.

I'm running a sfc /scannow now (heh) and I'll post the results when complete.

Ben Rollman

Thursday, March 28, 2019 12:20 PM
  • I have the CBS.log, anything specific?  

Ben Rollman

Thursday, March 28, 2019 2:15 PM
  • We just got two more today.  They generate event ID 1511, which just shows that the profile folder is corrupt.  I just need to find what's causing it and how to fix it without a reboot.  But if I can find what's causing it, i won't need the fix.

Again, I ran the sfc /scannow and have a log but I don't know what I'm looking at.

Ben Rollman

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 3:46 PM
  • Still getting these every once in a while.  Looking back on this, I was able to run that sfc scan but I don't know what I'm looking for.  I'd like to get past rebooting as the only solution to this issue.

Ben Rollman

Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:22 PM
  • Eve,

Do you have any more insight into this?  I'm more interesting in what causes it and not how to fix it.  A reboot fixes it, so far it's the only thing that does.  But I'd like to figure out what causes it.  And if it's that users aren't completely logging off their terminal session, and just closing RDC, than I'm okay telling them that, but having to reboot this server every time is a nuisance.

Ben Rollman

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:37 PM