none
DPM 2016 with latest MARS agent consistently fails to create online restore point for specific files RRS feed

• Question

• This has been happening for several months now with a specific subfolder on a file/QuickBooks server. Error ID is 33415. When I click the link to open the list of files that failed, they all list "DATA FAILURE" and then "0x80070002".  I'm not sure if that means anything.

I already checked and the UNC path is not longer than 256 characters.

Some of the files are QBW files, some are Word documents, some are .cfx, .gen.  All of the ones with this issue are under the same parent folder but within there there is a bunch of variation.  Some are in the root, some are a few folders deep, etc.

The backup-to-disk works just fine.

The documentation on DPM is horrendously lacking, so I'm hoping someone out there may be able to point me in the right direction? I did find one result from a couple of years ago but the "solution" provided by someone was to ensure the latest version of the MARS agent was installed. I've already done that.

• Edited by Ethan Smith Friday, October 6, 2017 5:47 PM
    Friday, October 6, 2017 5:43 PM

All replies

• I figure the source location is on a Windows server? Have you already run a checkdisk on the source to eliminate any form of corruption in the folder/file/index structure?

Sassan Karai

Sunday, October 15, 2017 4:33 PM
  • Any resolution on this? i have had this happening for a few months now.

I cant figure out anything specific about the files and its only about 300ish out of over 10 million files. The files do appear to be grouped.

Monday, October 29, 2018 2:08 PM
  • Ethan can you open any of the files failing the ASR backup (e.g. one of the word documents) I've seen issues on large file servers were permissions were basically beyond repair pointing to files that were basically not available to anyone any longer. 

Best regards

Sassan

Sassan Karai

Monday, October 29, 2018 2:48 PM
  • I just checked a few of my files but nothing appears out of the ordinary. Permissions are fine, they open fine etc.

A bit of info about my setup.

DPM is virtual hosted on a 2012R2 HyperV machine.

The HyperV machines is also 2012R2. 

The server being backed up is a 2012 file server with an agent on it.

The DPM is version 4.2.1603.0

cbengine is version 2.0.9145.0

I have 329 files failing, out of my file servers 10,743,799 files
    • Edited by JustusIV Monday, October 29, 2018 3:03 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2018 2:58 PM
  • Have you had a look at this hotfix JustusIV?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2871085

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, October 29, 2018 3:17 PM
  • @leon

I have not seen this hotfix. I might try this however with the reboot required it will not be all that soon.

for reference my volsnap.sys file is version 6.2.9200.17047
    • Edited by JustusIV Monday, October 29, 2018 3:26 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2018 3:25 PM