none
High CPU spikes server 2008 R2 Standard with Terminal Services. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Since last Tuesday, I've been getting a lot of cpu spikes on my terminal server. I've looked up and tried just about everything I can find, and I can't figure out what is causing it. I've ran both kernrate and xperf and even after viewing the results in windows performance analyzer, all I can tell is that it's related to ntoskrnl.exe. Every time I drill down into the ntoskrnl all I see is more ntoskrnl and can never find a driver or anything else that could be causing the issue. 

Some back story on this is that it's a VM that I recently migrated off of HyperV over to Scale Computing HC3 Hyperconverged SAN. I migrated it over last weekend, and last Monday it was working perfectly fine. halfway through Tuesday is when I started noticing spikes. It only does it after people start remoting in to it. After hours when no one is on it, everything is fine. I do have the xperf .etl file if anyone would want to see it.

Monday, October 3, 2016 5:14 PM

Answers

• I'm going to call this issue resolved. There were two different issues going on. The original issue with I was looking into the ntoskrnl.exe causing CPU spikes was due to a Reliability windows update for server 2008 R2 that was somehow causing my network drive to act crazy. Once I uninstalled that update, the ntoskrnl.exe issue went away. At this point the CPU spikes were happening less often and for a shorter amount of time, but still seemed to happen about every 10-15 minutes. This is when I found that svchost service, more specifically the plug and play service, was causing spikes. I think this was due to not having enough cores assigned to my vm. When I was troubleshooting the ntosrknl issue, the more cores I had, the worse it was, so I lowered the cores from 6 to 2. This kept the server stable enough that I could continue investigating the issue. Last night I bumped the cores up to 4 and so far today, it seems MUCH better. I'll let it ride like this for a day or two and then take it back up to 6.  I am still getting some spikes, but they are few and far between. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. 
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:38 PM

All replies

• Just As A Guess Hardware Failure Frist As Was Running Now Not
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 3:04 AM
  • Hello,

You have any I/O problems on Storage ? Or even the Raid´s/Lun´s that VM resides ?

You can do a I/O Stress test with IOmeter util...and see some results

cheers

nuno

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 3:11 AM
  • I'm going to call this issue resolved. There were two different issues going on. The original issue with I was looking into the ntoskrnl.exe causing CPU spikes was due to a Reliability windows update for server 2008 R2 that was somehow causing my network drive to act crazy. Once I uninstalled that update, the ntoskrnl.exe issue went away. At this point the CPU spikes were happening less often and for a shorter amount of time, but still seemed to happen about every 10-15 minutes. This is when I found that svchost service, more specifically the plug and play service, was causing spikes. I think this was due to not having enough cores assigned to my vm. When I was troubleshooting the ntosrknl issue, the more cores I had, the worse it was, so I lowered the cores from 6 to 2. This kept the server stable enough that I could continue investigating the issue. Last night I bumped the cores up to 4 and so far today, it seems MUCH better. I'll let it ride like this for a day or two and then take it back up to 6.  I am still getting some spikes, but they are few and far between. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. 
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:38 PM
  • The best setup for these kinds of computers is using workstations or using server MOBO's combo's in your rigs

4 cpu server MOBO with 8 ram slots holding total of 128 gigs of ram is what kind of computer hardware you need to run any server software at proper spec's the huge amount of ram and mutli cpu rig always runs good with any server software

so keep that in mind when you try and run server software cause it has a whole lot more stuff running in the background for server software

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:18 AM
  • Also Virtual machines are mainly used for labs and to try new software and apps in a hassle free environment
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:20 AM