none
Folder Redirection requires a second logon before icons appear RRS feed

• Question

• Recently after some windows updates my domain users connected to Windows Server 2016 Essentials Server made me aware that after they sign into there domain account; that they have to sign into a login popup to get the redirected folders to show up. Then after that they have to restart file explorer to get the taskbar to show the icons. 

They are connected to the domain because they are logging into the domain so I don't understand why this message" The system cannot contact a domain controller to service the authentication request. Please try again later"is coming up after logging onto the device.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 5:14 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

We can try the following four ways to see if it helps:

1. No matter where we install these windows updates, whether we can uninstall them? If so, we can try to uninstall them to see if it helps.

2. We can disjoin one machine from the domain and re-join this machine to the domain, then check if it helps.

3. We can create a new test user and deploy folder redirection for the account and logon the machine in step 2 to see if it helps.

4. We can create a new test user and deploy folder redirection for the account and logon the existing domain computer to see if it helps.

If it does not work above. To better understand our question, please confirm the following information:

1. According to "Recently after some windows updates", where did we install these windows update? On the Windows Server 2016 Essentials Server or all the windows clients?

2. Is there only one DC (Windows Server 2016 Essentials Server) in our domain?

3. According to "Then after that they have to restart file explorer to get the taskbar to show the icons.", how do we restart file explorer (please describe it in details and provide the screeshot)?

4. According to "Then after that they have to restart file explorer to get the taskbar to show the icons.", do we mean we have to restart file explorer to make the taskbar to show the only file explorer icon or make the taskbar to show all the icons that should appear in the taskbar?(please describe it in details and provide the screeshot)?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 15, 2019 7:49 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update or is this issue solved? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 1:47 AM
  • 1. According to "Recently after some windows updates", where did we install these windows update?

On the Windows Server 2016 Essentials Server 

2. Is there only one DC (Windows Server 2016 Essentials Server) in our domain?
    Only one Windows Server 2016 Essentials

3. According to "Then after that they have to restart file explorer to get the taskbar to show the icons.", how do we restart file explorer (please describe it in details and provide the screeshot)?

I will describe since its telling me Im not allowed to post a picture in forum yet. After user signs in on login screen to domain on local network it automatically brings up message about logging in again because

"The system cannot contact a domain controller to service the authentication request. Please try again later."

However the user can type in the credentials again and everything but the pinned items on the taskbar show up. This leads into question 4.

4. According to "Then after that they have to restart file explorer to get the taskbar to show the icons.", do we mean we have to restart file explorer to make the taskbar to show the only file explorer icon or make the taskbar to show all the icons that should appear in the taskbar?(please describe it in details and provide the screeshot)?

After logging in for a 2nd time, then to get the pinned icons along the taskbar to show the user must go to task manager and do a end/restart the Windows Explorer process for pinned icons on taskbar to show up.

Thank you for your help

Monday, November 18, 2019 5:58 PM
  • Hi,
    Do we troubleshoot as above option 1-4? If so, would you please tell us the test result.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:35 AM
  • Hi,
    I am just writing to see if this question has any update. If anything is unclear, please feel free to let us know.
    Thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Thursday, November 21, 2019 5:45 AM
  • Sorry I havent had a chance to troubleshoot it yet. Please keep this thread open longer please.
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:59 PM
  • Hi,
    OK. If there is any update we can update here. I am looking forwad to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Friday, November 22, 2019 10:41 AM
  • Hi,
    Would you please tell me how things are going on your side. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know. 
    Again thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 6:51 AM