none
Resume protected clustered VM after Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was protecting a couple of VMs on cluster1  with DPM. 

I recently created a new cluster, cluster2. And moved the VMs from cluster1 to cluster2.

The DPM backups are now failing as DPM is not finding the VMs on cluster1.

How can I resume the backup of the VMs on Cluster2 without DPM creating new replicas?

Thanks,

Thursday, January 9, 2020 2:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You will have to remove the VMs from the protection group with the "retain data" option, then re-add them to the protection group, when you add them you need to look for them from cluster2.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by Eric.ko Thursday, January 9, 2020 10:59 PM
    Thursday, January 9, 2020 2:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You will have to remove the VMs from the protection group with the "retain data" option, then re-add them to the protection group, when you add them you need to look for them from cluster2.

Best regards,
    Leon

• Marked as answer by Eric.ko Thursday, January 9, 2020 10:59 PM
    Thursday, January 9, 2020 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

You need to enable  the DPM VM mobility feature to track VM migrations between clusters.

Back up virtual machines configured for live migration

When virtual machines are involved in live migration, DPM continues to protect the virtual machines as long as the DPM protection agent is installed on the Hyper-V host. The way in which DPM protects the virtual machines depends on the type of live migration involved.

Live migration within a cluster - When a virtual machine is migrated within a cluster DPM detects the migration, and backs up the virtual machine from the new cluster node without any requirement for user intervention. Because the storage location hasn't changed, DPM continues with express full backups. In a scaled scenario with two DPM servers to protect the cluster, a virtual machine that is protected by DPM1 continues to be protected by DPM1, no matter where the virtual machine is migrated.

Live migration outside the cluster - When a virtual machine is migrated between stand-alone servers, different clusters, or between a stand-alone server and a cluster, DPM detects the migration, and can back up the virtual machine without user intervention.

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 9, 2020 5:47 PM
  • I assumed that he did not have SCVMM in use, could you verify this Eric.ko?

Thursday, January 9, 2020 6:01 PM
  • Hi,

Correct, I did not have SCVMM in this environment.

Thursday, January 9, 2020 10:20 PM
  • Thank you Leon,

Your solution worked.

Stopping the protection and then re-adding the VMs from cluster2, triggers a consistency check and resume the protection.

Regards,

Eric

Thursday, January 9, 2020 11:03 PM
  • Hi Mike,

This solution would have worked if I had SCVMM.

Regards,

Eric

Thursday, January 9, 2020 11:04 PM