none
CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.

Question

• I am attempting to create a new sharepoint web application using central administration running as local administrator.  This computer is not in a domain.

I have selected:
    "Create a new IIS Website"
    a default random port has automatically been assigned
    authentication provider is ntlm
    use ssl no
    Create a new application pool using the Network Service
    The database server is set to the machine name
    The database name is WSS_Content_<a bunch of random numbers>
    database authentication is windows authentication

When I activate the "ok" button, the operation fails and I get the following error in the application event log:
    CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.

any help is appreciated
    Friday, October 09, 2009 10:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You have to give the right permission in SQL Server to the account of central admin's application pool.

If the account of the application pool is "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE", it should have the following role in SQL : dbcreator and securityadmin

Take a look at this article for more information : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721638.aspx

Hope that help,
    Mario
    My blog (en français) : http://spcontext.wordpress.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Randy.Williams Saturday, October 10, 2009 8:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Friday, October 16, 2009 6:17 AM
    Friday, October 09, 2009 11:43 PM
  • hello, am having the same error but when executing commands from powershell, do i have to make the same solution, or should i give the user am accessing the server with the required permission? do i give central admin account the permission or my user?
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:28 PM
  • the DOMAIN lync_installer user MUST be member of the following groups:

csadmin, and RTC_XXXXX

add every RTC group ...

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 7:47 AM
  • The Perfect answer

chirag

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 10:05 PM
  • The user in PowerShell needs dbcreator and securityadmin rights as well, for best results grant it SPShellAdmin rights with the Add-SPShellAdmin cmdlet (btw this is the legacy forum though because we're talking about PowerShell I'm assuming you're using SharePoint 2010).

If the user you're using in PowerShell is different than the Central Administration application pool you'll need to add both accounts. I hope the accounts are different, though with a non-domain attached server this may not be the case. Since this arrangement isn't supported by SharePoint 2013 again I'll assume you're using SP2010.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 11:32 PM