none
Error Code 643 Windows Vista Security update .net 1.1 RRS feed

• Question

• trying to installed windows updates for service back .net 1.1 on Vista Ultimate and keep getting error code 643.   tried everything i could find (adobe fix, windows installer etc..) and nothing.  anybody got anything new?
    • Moved by Hengzhe Li Monday, August 29, 2011 5:36 AM off topic (From:Application Security for Windows Desktop)
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 5:53 PM

All replies

• 07/12&13/2007 same problem and tried several fixes.  If misery loves company then we will have to wait until enough users let MS know so they will fix the problem.
    • Proposed as answer by oacruz Tuesday, December 29, 2009 4:10 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2007 3:22 PM
  • I have the same issue and just came across this post.  Scroll down to Chris Rowat's answer which apparently worked for several of the members.  I haven't tried it since I just came across it.  Good luck.

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?postid=966704&siteid=1&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=2
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 1:22 AM
  • Thank you!!! It worked finally!!

• Proposed as answer by Donny M Tuesday, February 3, 2009 4:22 PM
    Monday, September 17, 2007 9:51 PM
  • I'll wait for MS to correct it. I paid 'em for it.

• Proposed as answer by azday1 Saturday, January 30, 2010 7:15 PM
    Saturday, September 22, 2007 5:18 PM
  • More than 3 months later, I did all that Chris suggested and still can't install  the Security Update.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks, Claudia

• Proposed as answer by Jeff101358 Sunday, May 9, 2010 1:18 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2007 11:29 PM
  • Has anyone got a fix for this yet?  I've tried saving it to my desktop and still cannot install it. 

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:14 PM
  • I followed Chris's directions and was successful, I think.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:51 PM
  • I keep receiving the download failure error code 643, (KB929729). Why?? There has been no explanation and information is impossible to fine.  What is going on?  I do not know as much about vista as you do!!  I am about to turn off my computer at night - I am not under your control!

• Proposed as answer by rosssalvato Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:24 AM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 1:41 PM
  •  Trintoc2 wrote:
    trying to installed windows updates for service back .net 1.1 on Vista Ultimate and keep getting error code 643.   tried everything i could find (adobe fix, windows installer etc..) and nothing.  anybody got anything new?

Just a xxxxx nuisance.  No information.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 12:29 PM
  • I got it too!!!  Is there a solution yet?!?!  What does it even mean?

Monday, December 3, 2007 11:09 PM
  • This link will fix your problems, run everything in the order listed and make sure to run the windows install cleanup utility as administrator.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-performance-maintenance/78698-error-code-643-a.html

Friday, December 28, 2007 4:24 AM
  • Ok all.  Go to the link read and all will be fixed. 

http://www.prophetline.com/node/173
    • Proposed as answer by mrtshome Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:08 AM
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 1:21 PM
  • My vista is 32 bit not 64 can I still run your link for the fix????

Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:18 PM
  • I am experiencing the same problem. Does anyone know about those programs that claim to do a scan and fix it?

Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:50 PM
  • all you have to do is go to  your control panal,  click on programs and features  uninstall microsoft . net frame work  twice.  and then re- install your updates
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 9:29 PM
    • Proposed as answer by f6pilot Thursday, March 5, 2009 5:54 PM
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Ik krijd sinds 2 dagen dezelfde foutmelding en niets lukt om het te installeren.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:43 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100/

Method 2 worked for me.

http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog|_Tools/dotnetfx|_cleanup|_tool.zip

Restart your computer before you go back to the Update page.

The MS Support Link given  by: f6pilot, is very helpful!
    The actuall code is: 0x643.

Have a nice day...

BTW, IS THIS THREAD SOLVED OR NOT?

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Coder24.com
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Why is it that all these "repairs" cost the user money? When is MicroSoft going to FIX there own problems?
    I have a computer that is less than a year old, and "Uniblue" tells me I have to "Purchase" because "they" found over 900 "errors", and I just had it cleaned at Staples...
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 9:17 PM
  • I have the problems of online updating my windows vista. It gives an erro of 643 and updates fails. Could some kindly help me. I tried several times but it does't work.  Thank You in Advance 
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:14 AM
  • BTW, IS THIS THREAD SOLVED OR NOT?

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Coder24.com
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 9:26 AM
  • BTW, IS THIS THREAD SOLVED OR NOT?

Best regards,
    Fisnik
    Coder24.com
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 9:26 AM
  • Hi again:

How is the situation on your side?
    Is this thread solved?

Please tell me!

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik

Coder24.com
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 3:10 PM
  • i feel like this has been happening to me more and more lately. I wish I knew what the error codes meant so i knew what the problem here is!! Just triedx to install this and got error code 643. I guess I'll go up to one of these links and hope it works....
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 1:28 PM
  • I get the same code 643 all the time when I try to install Vista Updates. 
    • Proposed as answer by pastime Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:03 AM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 3:59 PM
  • Hi again:

How is the situation on your side?
    Is this thread solved?

Please tell me!

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik

Coder24.com
    Monday, May 17, 2010 9:15 AM
  • Hi, After digging around for an answer, like remove all versions of .net etc, I found that if I tried to remove them or if I tried to install the update manually from an independent download, I was given error about not being able to find drive x . As drive x didn't exist, I plugged in a usb stick. Assigned it driver letter x and re-ran the .net update from Windows Updates. Voila!

I hope this helps somebody.

• Proposed as answer by irtdude Monday, June 14, 2010 7:40 PM
    Monday, June 14, 2010 7:40 PM
  • This is a bit late lol :-) in coming but i have been having a problem downloading important security updates but i found out how to fix the problem for a user on here. Here is what she suggested.    The solution is to turn your UAC (user account control) off. Go to control panel and in the "search" bar type in uac.  Turn it off and restart the computer. Then do the update and turn the uac back on. Hope this helps.    It worked!! Btw, i'm a newbie :-)

• Proposed as answer by pokergoddess3 Wednesday, December 29, 2010 1:15 PM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 12:58 AM
  • This worked!!! the link to skydrive was easy, and worked!!!! Thank you!
    Friday, June 25, 2010 2:20 PM
  • I have had this problem for ever with all my updates i get code 8667 a stuff like that HELP!

Friday, August 6, 2010 7:50 AM
  • yes it works i did turn off the uac and restart my laptop then i did install the updates and  now no more problem thanks
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 11:38 AM
  • Mr Prophetline is right on!  I simply uninstalled the .NET1.1 then did the windows update and it worked perfectly.  Unfortunately I believed another one of you and bought RegistryBooster and I'm sure it is good but it didn't fix the problem.  Mr Prophetline rocks!
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:10 AM
  • I try this one and it works for me..

1. Click Start

2. Click Control Panel

3. Switch to classic view in upper left hand corner

4. Double Click Programs and Features

5. Find Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and highlight it

6. At the top choose Uninstall/Change

7. Click the radio button labeled Repair (it is clicked by default)

8. Click Next

9. Let the repair run

10. Reboot

11. Re-run the update

Thursday, October 7, 2010 1:46 PM
  • how would you let you know ms about this error?
    Monday, October 11, 2010 7:16 PM
  • I followed your directions that you have posted, but I think I ran into a problem when I chose to Uninstall/Change the file Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 it didn't give me the chioce to repair it or change it. When I push the tab it automatically Uninstalled that file from my computer. When I rebooted my computer to run the update again it said the undate wasn't needed. So my question is now did something go wrong and if so where can I go to download Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 again??
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 5:29 AM
  • The Windows Update forum is on answer.microsoft.com. You can get better answers there.

This web site is for helping Microsoft's developer tool users in writing software, not for Microsoft's general customer support.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, December 20, 2010 4:19 PM
  • I was trying to install updates to a friends laptop (Vista.... arrgghh), when I encountered a problem with the .Net framework 1.1 sp1 that wouldn't install. I got the error message 643. After trying & trying agian to install it, I then went to Google to research the issue. There were so many posts that insisted on uninstalling & reinstalling all of the .Net Frameworks, I was just ready to pull my hair out. I really didn't want to have to spend hours going through something that may or may not work. Then I came along this post & thought: "Sounds to easy to be true, but I'll try it first before the un/re installing"

Bam it worked!!! Yippie!!

** (This is a step by step for newbies, for those a bit more advanced just follow the above post's instructions) **

In windows Vista:

Open: Control Panel from the Start Button

Then: In the top right hand corner of the window, there is a search box:

Click in the text field and type the letters:     uac

You will then see in the main part of the window "User Accounts"

Under that, use your cursor and highlight the words below User Accounts

"Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off"

Click on the link.

Then you will see on the next page:

'Turn Off (maybe the word on) User Account Control to make your computer more secure

User Account Control (UAC) can help prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. We recommend that you leave UAC turned on to help protect your computer.

[] Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer.'

The box above will have a checkmark in in indicating that it is turned on.

Now: Uncheck that box

And click OK

Next:

Restart the computer then,

Go back to the Windows Update and try to install the .Net Framework update.

It most likely will work, it did for me (Whew!!)

Be sure to restart when the update is complete!

Then go back to:

Open: Control Panel from the Start Button

Then: In the top right hand corner of the window, there is a search box:

Click in the text field and type the letters:     uac

You will then see in the main part of the window "User Accounts"

Under that, use your cursor and highlight the words below User Accounts

"Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off"

Click on the link.

Then you will see on the next page:

'Turn Off (maybe the word on) User Account Control to make your computer more secure

User Account Control (UAC) can help prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. We recommend that you leave UAC turned on to help protect your computer.

[] Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer"

In the box above click on it to replace the checkmark.

This will then turn it back on.

And restart the computer!

Problem fixed! :)

Pokergoddess3

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 1:18 PM
  • This is such and easy fix for error code 643 that even I could do it.  Go into Control Panel and select User Account.  In User Accounts turn off User Account Controls.  Restart your computer.  Do the annoying update.....and it actually updates!!!!  Then go back to User Accounts and turn the User Accounts Control on:)))  Restart computer and it is done....finally!!!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:50 AM
  • This is such an easy fix for error code 643 that even I could do it.  Go into Control Panel and select User Account.  In User Accounts turn off User Account Controls.  Restart your computer.  Do the annoying update.....and it actually updates!!!!  Then go back to User Accounts and turn the User Accounts Control on:)))  Restart computer and it is done....finally!!!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:52 AM
  • This is such an easy fix for error code 643 that even I could do it.  Go into Control Panel and select User Account.  In User Accounts turn off User Account Controls.  Restart your computer.  Do the annoying update.....and it actually updates!!!!  Then go back to User Accounts and turn the User Accounts Control on:)))  Restart computer and it is done....finally!!!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:53 AM

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:54 AM

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:55 AM

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:56 AM

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:57 AM

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:57 AM

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:58 AM
  • Try this!!   This is such and easy fix for error code 643 that even I could do it.  Go into Control Panel and select User Account.  In User Accounts turn off User Account Controls.  Restart your computer.  Do the annoying update.....and it actually updates!!!!  Then go back to User Accounts and turn the User Accounts Control on:)))  Restart computer and it is done....finally!!!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:59 AM

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:00 AM

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:01 AM
  • This one won't cost you!!   This is such an easy fix for error code 643 that even I could do it.  Go into Control Panel and select User Account.  In User Accounts turn off User Account Controls.  Restart your computer.  Do the annoying update.....and it actually updates!!!!  Then go back to User Accounts and turn the User Accounts Control on:)))  Restart computer and it is done....finally!!!
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:02 AM

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:02 AM

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:03 AM

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:04 AM
  • Good job!  This was the answer for me!!  It was a very simple fix. 
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:06 AM
  • Oh My Goodness!  Too Simple!  It actually worked!!!!  Thank you.....headache is now over :)  

Pastime is right....just turn off user account control...restart computer.....do the update...turn your user control back on...restart computer again and yeah....no more error code!

Monday, January 17, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Thanks Pasttime....Worked perfectly!  AWESOME:)

• Proposed as answer by cesarlopes Friday, July 29, 2011 6:21 PM
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:35 AM
  • I had the same problem and it was too complicated for me to understand but I have Advanced windows care and I did a deep scan and it fixed the problem for me. You can download Advanced System Care from Cnet as it is very good and sorts things out that I do not understand as I am no techno gheek!!! When you download it do a deep scan and under the vulnerability scan you will see that it notices the latest updates are not downloaded and it will fix it for you. I then checked windows update again and everything was up to date. I hope this helps as I was working at it for hours and getting nowhere!
    Friday, August 12, 2011 2:31 PM
  • trying to installed windows updates for service back .net 1.1 on Vista Ultimate and keep getting error code 643.   tried everything i could find (adobe fix, windows installer etc..) and nothing.  anybody got anything new?

After numerous attempts trying other avenues, I did what some did below & this finally worked. Do NOT uninstall anything--unneccessary.

Go to start & in the search bar type user accounts (sometimes all is needed is uac) then click on user accounts in the main search bar to the left under "programs". Look for "turn user account control on or off" & click on it. It will ask if you want to continue or cancel--click continue. It will give a warning that it is not recommended--but not to worry. It will show a box that is checked already--click the box to uncheck it & then restart your computer. When computer reboots, go to start, control panel (right side) & find windows update. Select updates needed & begin the update process. After installation of updates, restart computer. Go back to start, & pull up user accounts again & repeat the process to check the box to turn the user account control back on. Restart. All of this may take about 10-15 minutes MAX. It also works! Good luck

Monday, August 15, 2011 3:14 PM
  • This fix worked for me as well.  Click on User Account Controls and Family Safety and then click on User Account Controls.  Then click on User Account Controls on or off.  Then uncheck the box "UAC to help protect your computer".  Restart computer, apply the update that was not installing, then restart computer once again, repeat User Account Control as above and recheck the box "UAC to help protect your computer".  Do the final restart after this step and you should be good to go.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:39 AM
  • Go to the control panel to UNINSTALL PROGRAMS; find the Microsoft.NET file and click to uninstall--It will ask you want to FIX or UNINSTALL.  Select fix--this will take a few moments. Restart, and it should go away.

Hope it works.

Friday, August 19, 2011 9:34 PM
  • This worked like a charm.....THANK YOU THANK YOU, BEEN FIGHTING WITH IT FOR DAYS........I am having a little trouble with the connection, but minor......wow.....how easy was that.  I installed and uninstalled till I thought I was going to go crazy.......THIS IS THE ANSWER FOLKS....

Sincerely,

Janey55 :)

Jane Tyrvainen
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:36 PM
  • Hi,

The Windows update error code 643 in Windows 7 Operating System could be resolved by the two methods.

The first one is to fix the MSI software update registration corruption issues.

For this you have to first confirm whether the product is affected or not.

Then you have to re-create software update cache registry details and should delete the remaining software update references.

If the problem is not solved then, you are advised to repair the .NET Framework using the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool.

Get more information to fix error code 643 :

http://supportformicrosoft.iyogi.com/windows-7/windows-7-error-code-643.html

Hope this information helps you.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:39 AM

i have tried all i can to retify this problem ie restore/scans/repair net but with no joy there are sites that say they can fix at a price i googled error 643 but have not gone further
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 12:12 PM
  • Thanks for the simple fix. It worked great
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:19 PM
  • my luck! i get a runtime error when trying to access that link!
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 6:42 AM