none
what is the difference between Sharepoint Development and Sharepoint Administration?

Question

• HI,,,

i would like to know what is the difference between Sharepoint Developer job and Sharepoint Administration job ?,please provide me with Whole details about that also about the position and salary between both,and Can sharepoint work on Oracle 10G or 11G Dbase with whole qualifications?
    thank you
    Kind Regards,,
    Hisham Alsayed.

HishamAlsayed
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, August 29, 2008 6:25 AM Wrong forum (Moved from SharePoint - Development and Programming to SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion)
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:51 PM

Answers

• As far as I know:

SharePoint developer would be someone who is coding functionality like workflows, web parts, features, etc.

SharePoint administrator would be someone who administers the site through the web interface, no coding required, spends time in Central Admin and Site Settings.

As far as pay goes, no idea, check out salary.com

SharePoint runs on SQL 2000 SP4 or newer.

David Lozzi
    Delphi Technology Solutions
    Blog
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:10 PM

All replies

• As far as I know:

SharePoint developer would be someone who is coding functionality like workflows, web parts, features, etc.

SharePoint administrator would be someone who administers the site through the web interface, no coding required, spends time in Central Admin and Site Settings.

As far as pay goes, no idea, check out salary.com

SharePoint runs on SQL 2000 SP4 or newer.

David Lozzi
    Blog
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:10 PM
  • Hi,

From my point of view if you are SharePoint developer, you should also be quite good SharePoint administrator.

Best Regards,

mgolda
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:06 PM
  • This is a General question not a programming one.

Moving to the general forum.
    Friday, August 29, 2008 6:25 AM
  • HI,,,
       thank you on your answer really,was helpful but my quetion now is ,IS Sharepoint Administrator responsiable for Dbase tuning or Datawarehousing jobs for a Dbase which Sharepoint use it ?or it is for another specailist?

thank you
    Kind Regards,,
    Hisham Alsayed
    HishamAlsayed
    Friday, August 29, 2008 11:01 AM
  • I agree with mgolda, you kind of have to be an administrator to be a developer, since the developer gets into all the same places...

A SP administrator could be the database admin, but there isn't much to do on the actual database. you can do anything you need to do through the central admin, including backups. as far as db tuning goes, i've never had to nor have I been recommended by Microsoft to do so, i'm relatively confident in MS's design of the DB with SP that there is little to no tuning necessary.
    David Lozzi
    Blog
    Friday, August 29, 2008 11:23 AM