none
SharePoint Calendar Question - Group Calendar Options RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a SP Calendar for my group using SP online with the main purpose to add/track work by creating Events through the form. Everything is done the way I want it - several calendar views to color code, custom 'Event' form to my needs, and specific group lists for each function of work - except:

I want both the benefits of a shared group calendar and a regular calendar.  Specifically, when I go to 'List Settings' > 'List name, description, and navigation' I must select YES or NO for 'Group Calendar Options' > 'Use this calendar to share member's schedule?'.  If I select YES, I get a calendar output (Week Group & Day Group) with members on the y-axis and day(s) on the x-axis up to one week.  This is the option I have chosen to build the calendar.  This is great to see who has available time, but I would like a month view of my shared groups' work instead of scrolling through a week at a time.  In this version's month view, it will only display one person at a time.  If I select NO, I get a calendar output (Day, Week, Month) with a month view in traditional calendar style that would show all of the groups' work for the month and not by rows of people.  This is great too, as I can take a month long look for future work planning, but in this case it's difficult to see which person has available time.

Question #1:  Can I have both on the same calendar?  Imagine that the above YES/NO question 'Use this calendar to share member's schedule?' was YES/NO/BOTH and I selected BOTH.  I can easily set up two separate calendars, but then to have enter the 'Events' (through the form) on both calendars...meaning enter/update the 'Events' twice.  Can I get both views explained above and have them each draw schedule data from the same single 'Event' entry?

Question #2:  Can I have the shared member calendar view extend beyond one week, even if it means scrolling to the right?  This too would solve my problem.  Like the 'Day Group' and 'Week Group' buttons, I want a 'Month Group' button.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by ktmguy Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:00 PM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 4:41 PM

Answers

• Hi ktmguy,

1. I am afraid that we cannot have both on the same calendar. We only select Yes or No for “Use this calendar to share member's schedule?”.

2. I am afraid that we cannot make the shared member calendar view extend beyond one week. We can use the buttons besides the date to switch weeks like the picture below.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by ktmguy Thursday, July 18, 2019 4:43 PM
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 7:09 AM

All replies

• Hi ktmguy,

1. I am afraid that we cannot have both on the same calendar. We only select Yes or No for “Use this calendar to share member's schedule?”.

2. I am afraid that we cannot make the shared member calendar view extend beyond one week. We can use the buttons besides the date to switch weeks like the picture below.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by ktmguy Thursday, July 18, 2019 4:43 PM
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 7:09 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thank you for your response.  It seems there are several threads that have a similar need to mine...wanting a 'Month Group' button/view to allow for better planning.  My group is usually assigned work in pairs, and there is no efficient or effective way to view more than one person's calendar by month at the same time.  Please consider for future updates. 

The 'Week Group' view is OK I guess, but isn't really practical for future planning without a bunch of week by week refreshes, especially when I am working off an intranet.  I have 7 color coded views in my calendar and each refresh takes about 10-15 seconds to complete the refresh.  Week by week scrolling seems to take forever.

But again, thank you for the definitive response.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 4:55 PM