Dimension hierarchies and attribute hierarchies RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm relatively new to SSAS, so please excuse the triviality of my question.

I would like to know how dimension hierarchies and attribute hierarchies differ. I understand that an attribute hierarchy is a hierarchy applied to the attributes of a particular dimension.

Also, if dimension and attribute hierarchies are two different types of hierarchies, how can security by applied to the dimension hierarchy?

Thanks!

Monday, June 7, 2010 10:44 AM

Answers

• Hi

Thanks for the insight. I've been experimenting, and it seems that security applied to an attribute will affect every hierarchy that that attribute forms part of.

Thanks again.

• Marked as answer by Raymond-Lee Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:28 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 2:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In SSAS 2005 you can describe attribute hierarchies and natural-, or user, hierarchies and dimension hierarchies-

A natural hierarchy in the date dimension is Date -> Month -> Quarter -> Year from the leaf level to the top level.

You connect the levels in the natural hierarchy with attribute relations in the dimension designer in BIDS.

I would use dimension security with natural hierarchies since the security settings are inherited by the lower hierarchy levels.

HTH

Thomas Ivarsson

Monday, June 7, 2010 11:17 AM
  • Hi Thomas

Thanks for the response. I am using SSAS 2008. Does it similarly differentiate between the two types of hierarchies?

Also, if I restrict access to a certain dimension attribute, and that attribute is part of an attribute hierarchy, then the child nodes of that restricted attribute must surely also be restricted? Also, if the restricted attribute forms part of multiple hierarchies, changes to the security settings of that attribute will affect every hierarchy that that attribute is part of?

Thanks again.

Monday, June 7, 2010 11:26 AM
  • Hi,

Yes it is the same in SSAS 2005, SSAS 2008 and SSAS 2008R2.

A  secured parent in a natural hierarchy means that all levels below get the same security setting if you use the UI in BI-Developer Studio and deny, allow parent members by clicking on them.

With multiple hierarchies and the same secured attribute in both, things are getting a little bit more complicated. I have not worked with that scenario.

BR

Thomas Ivarsson

Monday, June 7, 2010 1:46 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for the insight. I've been experimenting, and it seems that security applied to an attribute will affect every hierarchy that that attribute forms part of.

Thanks again.

• Marked as answer by Raymond-Lee Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:28 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 2:02 PM