none
Access + SQL deployment with ODBC native client RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am a long time Access developer beginning to develop applications linking to SQL server.  Currently I am trying to deploy an Access 2010 app with connection to SQL server 2012.  I am told that I should use the SQL Server Native Client ODBC driver so I go to the Microsoft Download site, search for "sql server native cilent", and click on the link for "Microsoft ODBC driver 11 for SQL Server Windows" which takes me here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36434.  I download the 64 bit version, try to install, and it fails telling me "...a higher version already exists on the machine."  Firstly, how is it even possible that I have a "higher version" than what is on Microsoft's download site, and secondly, how am I supposed to deploy this to end users if I can't even find the latest version?  So frustrating.

-Bruce

Thursday, April 9, 2015 3:56 PM

Answers

• Firstly, how is it even possible that I have a "higher version" than what is on Microsoft's download site

Hello Bruce,

If you lookup the "Details" in the link you posted you will see, it's more the 2 years old; so it is possible.

Download the "SQL Server Native Client" = SqlNCli.msi installer from the latest SQL Server Feature Pack

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, April 9, 2015 5:17 PM

All replies

• Firstly, how is it even possible that I have a "higher version" than what is on Microsoft's download site

Hello Bruce,

If you lookup the "Details" in the link you posted you will see, it's more the 2 years old; so it is possible.

Download the "SQL Server Native Client" = SqlNCli.msi installer from the latest SQL Server Feature Pack

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, April 9, 2015 5:17 PM
  • You are correct.  Downloading from SQL Server Feature Pack resulted in a different, newer version than what I had. Microsoft documentation of what driver to use, what version to use, and where to find it is absolutely terrible.  Thank you for your help!

-Bruce

Thursday, April 9, 2015 11:29 PM