none
Installing SQL Server 2012 cluster on Server 2012 Core RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for some examples of a configuration.ini file for a sql cluster install on windows 2012 Core and so far there is nothing. Any one have a sample I can have a look at to use a basis for building my own. Other than trying to get the server team to build me a test cluster with GUI so I can do an install and take the config file from there.... that could take them a while.

Thanks

Ryan

Monday, August 5, 2013 6:27 AM

Answers

• Hi rfroman,

The ConfigurationFile.ini file is a text file with parameters (name/value pair) and descriptive comments. We can use the configuration file to install SQL Server and the SQL Server failover cluster. The configuration file can be used to track the parameters and values for each installation. The configuration file is useful to verify and audit the installations.

About generating a configuration file, we need to note that the setup infrastructure writes out all the appropriate parameters for the actions that were run, except for sensitive information such as passwords. If you need to make changes to the configuration file, we recommend making a copy and working with the copy.

There is more details about creating a new SQL Server failover cluster, you can review the topic.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179530(v=sql.110).aspx

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

If you have any feedback on our support, please click  here.

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:45 AM

All replies

• Hi rfroman,

The ConfigurationFile.ini file is a text file with parameters (name/value pair) and descriptive comments. We can use the configuration file to install SQL Server and the SQL Server failover cluster. The configuration file can be used to track the parameters and values for each installation. The configuration file is useful to verify and audit the installations.

About generating a configuration file, we need to note that the setup infrastructure writes out all the appropriate parameters for the actions that were run, except for sensitive information such as passwords. If you need to make changes to the configuration file, we recommend making a copy and working with the copy.

There is more details about creating a new SQL Server failover cluster, you can review the topic.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179530(v=sql.110).aspx

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

If you have any feedback on our support, please click  here.

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:45 AM
  • Hi Sofiya,

Thanks for that. Great article to use. I have built a config.ini file and will be testing it soon --

Am building a sql cluster with a 3rd node for DR with alwayson avalibility groups on server core.. should be fun :)

Thanks

Ryan

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:18 AM
  • Hi Sofiya, did you get this to work?  I am looking to deploy SQL Server 2019 Ent edition on a 2 node cluster on Server Core and I cant seem to find any info on either how to do this or even if its supported??

Any advice would be grateful.

Derek

Monday, December 2, 2019 2:43 AM