none
SharePoint Online 365 create workflow with SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow engine RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

Is it possible to create a 2010 workflow  from SharePoint Designer 2013 to be deployed on SharePoint Online 365?

Whenever I try to save or publish the workflow I get a "Server error: Access denied" error message.

If I do the same with a 2013 workflow, it allows to save and publish with no errors, but the fact is that I need an action that is no longer in 2013 workflow engine and IS in 2010 workflow engine (replace list permissions).

Thanks a lot!

Friday, October 18, 2019 9:57 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I had already done everything you remarked, regarding the management shell, the cache... and nothing changed, it just kept indicating Server error: Access denied

In some other places I also heard about having installed the SharePoint Designer SP1. Checked. Same result. Server error: Access denied

Finally, making more and more testing in different environments, I have checked that this error happens when you try to create a 2010 workflow at the root level of a SharePoint online site collection. If you create the 2010 workflow in a subsite, or in a site collection under /sites, it works perfectly, but I have not been able to make it work at the root site collection.

No idea if this is a bug or why it has this behaviour.

Thanks for your help and hope this will help other people with this issue.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 6:40 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can create 2010 workflows from SharePoint Designer 2013 in SharePoint Online. you don't require 2010 workflow engine anymore. Try clearing the SharePoint Designer cache and then give it a try..

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Friday, October 18, 2019 1:37 PM
  • Hi, Rikar,

Yes you can create 2010 workflow for SharePoint Online sites. What is the account you are using in the designer? Does it has proper permission in the list where you want to add the workflow? Have a try with the site collection administrator account. 

The "replace list permissions" action shall be placed in an impersonation step. Does the publishing error persist when you try with a 2010 workflow containing only a simple log action? 

Try to use SharePoint Online Management Shell to add this permission:

Connect-SPOService

fill in the site url: https://domain-admin.sharepoint.com ( which is your SharePoint Admin Center URL)
    Sign in with username and password

Set-SPOsite site url -DenyAddAndCustomizePages 0

Clean SP designer cache is also a possible fix

Similar thread: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/97df03dd-bcdc-4bd7-a5b6-770a04aaf5ff/receiving-server-error-access-denied-when-i-publish-2010-platform-workflow-help?forum=sharepointcustomization

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/264511/sharepoint-2010-workflow-on-sharepoint-online-site-created-by-teams-server-err

You can also try to grant workflow app permission according to this: Create a workflow with elevated permissions by using the SharePoint Workflow platform

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, October 21, 2019 3:38 AM
  • Hello,

I had already done everything you remarked, regarding the management shell, the cache... and nothing changed, it just kept indicating Server error: Access denied

In some other places I also heard about having installed the SharePoint Designer SP1. Checked. Same result. Server error: Access denied

Finally, making more and more testing in different environments, I have checked that this error happens when you try to create a 2010 workflow at the root level of a SharePoint online site collection. If you create the 2010 workflow in a subsite, or in a site collection under /sites, it works perfectly, but I have not been able to make it work at the root site collection.

No idea if this is a bug or why it has this behaviour.

Thanks for your help and hope this will help other people with this issue.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 6:40 AM
  • Hi, Rikar, 

Glad to hear you found the root cause. Thanks for your sharing and please mark your reply as answer. It will help other community members to find the solution easily.

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:30 AM