none
Item level permission for a list ( Not the one who created the item but for one who is assigned that item) RRS feed

• Question

• Guys,

I have a question regarding sharepoint list.

I have created a list where someone can create a list item to nominate someone for an award.There is a field in the same list item , where a user needs to put the name of the manager who will finally have to approve it.

Now multiple list items will be created with each item may have a different approval person.
    Is there a way I cna make sure that the person assigned to approve that award (list item) can only view or edit the item he is assigned to?

I know you can use item level permission but it is based on who created it.
    Is there a way to restrict an item to a person whose directory name is part of one of the list item fields.

Appreciate a quick response or tell me the forum where I can put this.

Thanks,
    Aditya

Aditya

Friday, June 14, 2019 7:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Aditya,

Create a New SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow and associate to your List

Open the workflow
    put your cursor above the first step in your workflow
    from the ribbon, in the insert group choose "Impersonation step"
    place your cursor in the Impersonation step and click on Actions from the ribbon
    find and choose the "Replace List Item Permission" from the "List Actions" section
    click on the "these permissions" and replace the permissions as you desire (read-only, etc)
    click the "this list" and choose "Current Item"
    save and publish your workflow

this way whenever the user submitted the list item and the workflow starts, it replaces their permissions they way you configured.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Saturday, June 15, 2019 12:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Aditya,

Create a New SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow and associate to your List

Open the workflow
    put your cursor above the first step in your workflow
    from the ribbon, in the insert group choose "Impersonation step"
    place your cursor in the Impersonation step and click on Actions from the ribbon
    find and choose the "Replace List Item Permission" from the "List Actions" section
    click on the "these permissions" and replace the permissions as you desire (read-only, etc)
    click the "this list" and choose "Current Item"
    save and publish your workflow

this way whenever the user submitted the list item and the workflow starts, it replaces their permissions they way you configured.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Saturday, June 15, 2019 12:39 AM
  • Hi Aditya,

I created a Test list and Break the Inheritance for the list and added the SharePoint group with edit permissions and created a SharePoint 2010 workflow with above steps provided. once i created a new item in the list automatically triggers the workflow and provides read access to the created user. perfectly worked for me hope this should work for you.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Saturday, June 15, 2019 2:56 AM
  • Hi Aditya,

As suggested, you can create "Impersonation step" workflow which can set permissions for list item. 

Reference:

http://mundrisoft.com/tech-bytes/how-to-give-item-level-permission-through-sharepoint-workflow/

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer, it will be beneficial to others in the community who meet this similar issue in the future. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, June 17, 2019 2:46 AM
  • Hi Aditya,

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 6:42 AM
  • Hi Aditya,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Lisa Chen 

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Thanks Sharath

It exactly did not solve the original problem fully but is a good workaround I can live with.

Appreciate it!!

Aditya

Friday, June 28, 2019 8:13 PM