none
Managed Properties RRS feed

• Question

• Im getting ready to implement a Cloud Search service application. I understand the on premise crawled properties propagate to SharePoint Online following the crawl of on premise content. What about the on premise custom managed properties? Do they propagate to the SharePoint Online search schema too?

Thanks, ozsp

Thursday, July 11, 2019 10:15 PM

Answers

• Hi ozsp,

Do you mean the custom managed properties created on-premise will be copied to the cloud schema after a successful crawl?

If so, then the custom managed properties created on-premise will not be copied to the cloud schema after a successful crawl.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by ozsp Monday, July 15, 2019 1:07 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 9:35 AM

All replies

• yes you can get custom properties in SharePoint Online but for that you need to log into Office 365 with the service account your on-prem search service is using. In my case, logging into Office 365 Admin with domain\spsearch allowed me to see these missing properties. I could then create Managed Properties and then all users could use the data. That’s it! Your service account doesn’t need any licenses, just admin privileges.

Below articles for your reference:

https://davidlozzi.com/2017/10/03/sharepoint-hybrid-search-and-crawled-properties/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/hybrid/learn-about-cloud-hybrid-search-for-sharepoint

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Friday, July 12, 2019 2:10 AM
  • Hi ozsp,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, July 12, 2019 5:50 AM
  • I was asking if the managed properties that are created on premise propagate to the cloud schema following a crawl. I understand that the crawled properties do and I understand you can create managed properties from on premise crawled properties in the cloud. But do the custom managed properties created on premise propagate to the cloud schema after a successful crawl?

Thanks, ozsp

Friday, July 12, 2019 5:07 PM
  • Hi ozsp,

Do you mean the custom managed properties created on-premise will be copied to the cloud schema after a successful crawl?

If so, then the custom managed properties created on-premise will not be copied to the cloud schema after a successful crawl.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

• Marked as answer by ozsp Monday, July 15, 2019 1:07 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 9:35 AM
  • Yes you answered my question thank you. 
    Monday, July 15, 2019 1:07 PM
  • Is there anyway to migrate them?

Thanks, ozsp

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:44 PM
  • No you can't import customized search configurations from SharePoint Server to SharePoint Online, or the other way around.

sharath aluri

Monday, July 15, 2019 3:03 PM