none
Any issues mixing 2003 and 2012 DCs? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

We are finally going to begin our migration but unfortunately I cannot do it quickly.

So after we install our first 2012 DC (latest version and all patches) into our existing w2k3 DC domain, are there any issues or will it all just work? I'm guessing the latter and did read a post about authentication issues but apparently there's a hotfix for that now.

Thanks

David Z

Friday, November 20, 2015 9:16 PM

Answers

• First join the Windows Server 2012 machine to the domain. Then promote this machine to a domain controller. This will update the schema for Windows Server 2012. There should be no issues, as long as your domain and forest functional levels are Windows Server 2003.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, November 20, 2015 10:04 PM

All replies

• Hi

are there any issues or will it all just work? >>>> There isn't know issue for migration,

Also you can check this "What is the Impact of Upgrading the Domain or Forest Functional Level?"

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2011/06/14/what-is-the-impact-of-upgrading-the-domain-or-forest-functional-level.aspx

And check with your systems compability,maybe first check on lab environment.

Also you can check this article for migrate from 2003 to 2012,

http://blogs.msmvps.com/mweber/2012/07/30/upgrading-an-active-directory-domain-from-windows-server-2003-or-windows-server-2003-r2-to-windows-server-2012/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Friday, November 20, 2015 9:35 PM
  • First join the Windows Server 2012 machine to the domain. Then promote this machine to a domain controller. This will update the schema for Windows Server 2012. There should be no issues, as long as your domain and forest functional levels are Windows Server 2003.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, November 20, 2015 10:04 PM
  • Thanks Richard. I plan to do the the necessary checks first e.g. dcdiag, replication, lingering objs etc.

I'm glad these are no issues as there shouldnt be!

Saturday, November 21, 2015 12:21 AM
  • Hi David Zemdegs,

In addition, please ensure the DNS pointing is correct on existing 2003 DC. On server 2012 point to 2003 DC's IP address as an preffered DNS in NIC and run AD DS configuration wizard to promote new server 2012 as an additional domain controller. Once it is promoted to DC, change DNS pointing on this server.

ALso check if there is any communication issue due to windows firewall, antivirus and security application, you could stop/disable them temporarily.

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 23, 2015 9:07 AM