none
Cannot join this farm because it contains server assigned to the single server farm role. RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to connect central administration,i was getting error as displayed in snapshot,so i disconnected from SharePoint configuration wizard.

============================================

Now i'm  trying to run SharePoint configuration wizard again to connect existing server farm,it gives me below error

"cannot join this farm because it contains server assigned to the single server farm role.To join an additional server to this farm first disconnect server from the farm and then try again"

Please help..

syn_snehal

• Edited by Syn_Snehal Saturday, July 13, 2019 7:56 AM
    Friday, July 12, 2019 3:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Snehal,

You have to use a farm account which has SecurityAdmin & DBCreator access from SQL End or else make sure the account which you are using should have dbowner for all databases and also add your account in the shelladmin for config database from the below code. Then try again..

Add-Pssnapin "Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell"
    $db = Get-SPDatabase | Where {$_.Name -eq "Your_SharePoint_ConfigDB"}
    Add-SPShellAdmin "domain\UserB" -database $db

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Saturday, July 13, 2019 11:51 AM
  • Hi, Syn_Snehal,

Have you finished running the configuration wizard for the first time after installing the SharePoint Server? If not, you have not yet created a farm. 

If you have finished Configuration wizard after the installation, what account are you using to open the management shell? Make sure the account you are using is a local admin and SharePoint admin. Also check the account permission in the Sql configuration database.    

The “local farm is not accessible” issue usually occurs in case of

1. The SharePoint Management Shell is not run as Administrator.
    2. The current user don’t have sufficient permission on the SharePoint_Config database.

Check this: https://blog.devoworx.net/2014/06/14/the-local-farm-is-not-accessible-cmdlets-with-featuredependencyid-are-not-registered/

Besides, according to your description, you changed the SQL admin password. It could be the root cause.  You need to check the IIS and other places you use that account as a service account. Change the credential to the new password.

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Syn_Snehal Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:30 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 7:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Snehal,

That's because your farm is a single farm role which can only contain one server. So you can not add a new one to the farm. for you to add the additional servers you need to change Single-Server farm role first.

Below article will help you to change the role.

https://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=605

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Friday, July 12, 2019 3:11 PM
  • Hi sharath aluri,

Thanks,

I want single server farm without disconnecting  existing server farm so what will be the solution?

syn_snehal

• Edited by Syn_Snehal Friday, July 12, 2019 3:21 PM
    Friday, July 12, 2019 3:21 PM
  • what do you mean single server farm without disconnecting existing server farm ?

The above steps are not going to disconnect any server from your exiting farm it will just change the role of your farm from Single-Server farm to Application/Front-End/Custom So, that you could add other/Additional servers to your existing farm only.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Friday, July 12, 2019 3:34 PM
  • Hi,

I've tried with that article.

SP Management shell shows me message "The local farm is not accessible. Cmdlets with FeatureDependencyId are not registered."

and after running commands its shows message "Farm is unavailable".

If central administrator is not available then  how could i change server's minrole?

syn_snehal

• Edited by Syn_Snehal Saturday, July 13, 2019 7:56 AM
    Saturday, July 13, 2019 7:50 AM
  • Hi Snehal,

You have to use a farm account which has SecurityAdmin & DBCreator access from SQL End or else make sure the account which you are using should have dbowner for all databases and also add your account in the shelladmin for config database from the below code. Then try again..

Add-Pssnapin "Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell"
    $db = Get-SPDatabase | Where {$_.Name -eq "Your_SharePoint_ConfigDB"}
    Add-SPShellAdmin "domain\UserB" -database $db

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Saturday, July 13, 2019 11:51 AM
  • Hi, Syn,

Are you right now installing SharePoint 2016 on a single sever? Is your SQL server properly configured and give your setup/farm account proper permission? What account are you using now? Just like Sharath said, you will need to use an account of proper permission level to carry out the whole process. 

Have a check on this:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/install/initial-deployment-administrative-and-service-accounts-in-sharepoint-server

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/install/install-sharepoint-server-2016-on-one-server

https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Identity-Manager-Tips/Complete-On-premise-SharePoint-2016-Setup-Guide-with-simple-easy/ta-p/1776940

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, July 15, 2019 3:29 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

I have already installed SharePoint server 2016 but i think my Sql admin's password was changed(I've changed it again to old password),i'm getting error while accessing SP central admin.

I have checked above all solutions which was given by Sharath but i'm getting error that "The local farm is not accessible. Cmdlets with FeatureDependencyId are not registered."

Also i cant run SP product wizard because it gives me error "Cannot join this farm because it contains server assigned to the single server farm role"

I want to connect existing server farm(Which is single server farm).

syn_snehal

• Edited by Syn_Snehal Monday, July 15, 2019 6:23 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 6:09 AM
  • Hi, Syn_Snehal,

Have you finished running the configuration wizard for the first time after installing the SharePoint Server? If not, you have not yet created a farm. 

If you have finished Configuration wizard after the installation, what account are you using to open the management shell? Make sure the account you are using is a local admin and SharePoint admin. Also check the account permission in the Sql configuration database.    

The “local farm is not accessible” issue usually occurs in case of

1. The SharePoint Management Shell is not run as Administrator.
    2. The current user don’t have sufficient permission on the SharePoint_Config database.

Check this: https://blog.devoworx.net/2014/06/14/the-local-farm-is-not-accessible-cmdlets-with-featuredependencyid-are-not-registered/

Besides, according to your description, you changed the SQL admin password. It could be the root cause.  You need to check the IIS and other places you use that account as a service account. Change the credential to the new password.

Best Regards

Jerry

• Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Syn_Snehal Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:30 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 7:05 AM
  • Hi, Syn,

Is there any update about your issue ?

Best Regards

Jerry

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:53 AM
  • Hi, Snehal,

Glad to see it works on fixing your issue. Please mark the reply as answer so other community members will find the solution easily.

Best Regards

Jerry

Thursday, July 18, 2019 1:18 AM