none
oledb consumer templates future RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am curious what are the MS plans for OleDB? I keep reading that it will no longer be supported but, I did not see any info regarding what will replace it? If it is replaced by ODBC, is there going to be a set of C++ classes similar to those existing today in Oledb consumer templates?

Please note that I am interested in native C++ not any managed stuff.

Thanks,

G.

Monday, January 6, 2014 4:09 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Beginning in SQL Server 2005, Microsoft changed the way it supports ODBC and OLE DB with the introduction of a component called Microsoft SQL Server Native Client. Microsoft SQL Server Native Client contains the SQL OLE DB provider and SQL ODBC driver in one native dynamic link library (DLL) supporting applications using native-code APIs (ODBC, OLE DB and ADO) to Microsoft SQL Server.

Microsoft has announced that OLE DB will be deprecated in SQL Server 2012 for SQL Server relational database access in favor of the SQL Server Native Client ODBC driver. But some Microsoft SQL Server features and products that are built on top of OLE DB or use OLE DB, like Distributed Query (Linked Server), SSIS,SSAS, will continue to be supported.
    Reference:http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/e696d0ac-f8e2-4b19-8a08-7a357d3d780f/microsoft-is-aligning-with-odbc-for-native-relational-data-access-faq?forum=sqldataaccess

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 3:20 AM
  • Hi Fanny,

Thanks for the replay. I am specifically interested to find out if the consumer templates in ATL are going to be supported in the future.

If they are not, what is the programming model recommended? With the consumer templates, one got a wizard with macros and attributes and a set of classes to build C++ apps accessing ms sql. Will MS provide something similar or do we have to go to some generic ODBC C interface?

Thanks,

G.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 4:06 AM
  • There is rich information about the Supported status of OLE DB at: https://docs.microsoft.com/sql/connect/connect-history

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 3:59 AM