none
datatype map - Native ODBC driver RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Our software uses native ODBC driver and Visual C++ 2003 to communicate with SQL Server 2005.

SELECT xml_schema_namespace(SCHEMA_NAME(schema_id) ,name) FROM sys.xml_schema_collections.

SQLDescribeColW returns -152 as the datatype for the column in the above select statement. However, I’m unable to find a preprocessor definition for -152. The datatype looks like an nvarchar. Is it an nvarchar? Where can I find the definition for this datatype?

I have discovered similar problems while bringing back SQL_VARIANT types. The returned subtype of a SQLVariant comes up with -16 and -25. I cannot find definitions for these sub types either.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Venkat

Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:01 PM

Answers

• -16 = "SQL_INTEGER + SQL_SIGNED_OFFSET" ( = 4 + (-20) )

-25 = "SQL_BIGINT + SQL_SIGNED_OFFSET" ( = -5 + (-20) )

So, basically they're SIGNED LONG and SIGNED BIGINT respectively, which explains their sizes of 4bytes and 8bytes.

You can find these defined in the header file SQLEXT.H:

#define SQL_BIGINT                              (-5)

#define SQL_SIGNED_OFFSET       (-20)
    #define SQL_UNSIGNED_OFFSET     (-22)

#define SQL_C_SBIGINT (SQL_BIGINT+SQL_SIGNED_OFFSET)    /* SIGNED BIGINT */

#define SQL_C_SLONG      (SQL_C_LONG+SQL_SIGNED_OFFSET)    /* SIGNED INTEGER  */

As Uwa mentioned above, you'll need to search SQLNCLI.H for the SQL Server 2005 types. Here you can find (-152) defined:

#define SQL_SS_VARIANT                      (-150)
    #define SQL_SS_UDT                          (-151)
    #define SQL_SS_XML                          (-152)

Friday, November 17, 2006 11:49 PM

All replies

• -152 is the XML data type and is defined in SQLNCLI.H as SQL_SS_XML. SQLNCLI.H is the header file for the SQL Native Client ODBC driver and OLEDB provider for SQL Server 2005.

I would advice you use the SQL Native Client ODBC driver for the best performance and functionality with SQL Server 2005. You can download the redistributable from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DF0BA5AA-B4BD-4705-AA0A-B477BA72A9CB&DisplayLang=en

Regards,

Uwa.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 6:53 PM
  • Thank you very much!

Do you know where i can find information about SQL variant sub types -16 & -25? Subtype -16 looks like an integer (4bytes) while subtype -25 looks like a bigint (8Bytes)

Regards,

Friday, November 17, 2006 8:52 PM
  • -16 = "SQL_INTEGER + SQL_SIGNED_OFFSET" ( = 4 + (-20) )

-25 = "SQL_BIGINT + SQL_SIGNED_OFFSET" ( = -5 + (-20) )

So, basically they're SIGNED LONG and SIGNED BIGINT respectively, which explains their sizes of 4bytes and 8bytes.

You can find these defined in the header file SQLEXT.H:

#define SQL_BIGINT                              (-5)

#define SQL_SIGNED_OFFSET       (-20)
    #define SQL_UNSIGNED_OFFSET     (-22)

#define SQL_C_SBIGINT (SQL_BIGINT+SQL_SIGNED_OFFSET)    /* SIGNED BIGINT */

#define SQL_C_SLONG      (SQL_C_LONG+SQL_SIGNED_OFFSET)    /* SIGNED INTEGER  */

As Uwa mentioned above, you'll need to search SQLNCLI.H for the SQL Server 2005 types. Here you can find (-152) defined:

#define SQL_SS_VARIANT                      (-150)
    #define SQL_SS_UDT                          (-151)
    #define SQL_SS_XML                          (-152)

Friday, November 17, 2006 11:49 PM
  • Thanks a lot!
    Saturday, November 18, 2006 3:38 PM