none
Sharing options all grayed out for all sites. Unable to change anywhere RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, hoping someone can help as we are at a total loss.

Sometime in the past 0-6 weeks our sharing permissions have been restricted to People with existing access only. We are unable to change this to any of the other options. 

I have checked all over the various locations that manage sharing permissions but they all appear to setup as they were... i.e. nothing has changed from when we used to be able to share with anyone, or people in our company with the link.

This has resulted with us being unable to share anything with anyone who didn't already have access to specific files of folders. I am able to add groups or members to libraries but we utilize being able to share folders or files with explicit groups extensively. Anyone have any ideas what has gone wrong or is missing. I repeat it used to work fine until a point of time in the past 0-6 weeks (unsure when exactly)

Sunday, June 16, 2019 9:41 PM

All replies

• Hi  Jay,

Issues about share always revolve around permissions and site settings.

Depending on your description, the permission settings have not changed, so we need to check the following settings for the site:

1.Office 365 Admin center, under Security & Privacy.

2.Check the SharePoint Admin Center under sharing.

3.SharePoint Admin Center and is at the individual Site Collection level under Sharing.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, June 17, 2019 2:48 AM
  • Hey thanks for the reply,

These screen shots seem to be from the classic sharepoint admin area which I am unable to get too now. 

I have this one currently on (from the modern office 365 admin page and sharepoint admin)

Monday, June 17, 2019 3:05 AM
  • Hi  Jay,

You can use this power shell command:

$s = Get-SPOSite -Identity "fullurl" Set-SPOSite -Identity $s -SharingCapability ExternalUserAndGuestSharing

You need to wait a while after running.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, June 17, 2019 3:16 AM
  • And this will help that we cant add any new sharing permissions to any file or folder? We are currently stuck on only the permissions that were set before. i.e. Any file or folder that we had shared with a group or user is locked in that state, we are unable to add new groups or users to files and folders basically across the entire site :(
    Monday, June 17, 2019 3:20 AM
  • Hi  Jay,

This command does not change group permissions and user permissions.

It just allow sharing with all external users, and by using anonymous access links

Best regards

Itch Sun

Monday, June 17, 2019 5:43 AM
  • Ok thanks for the info

We need however a solution to enable sharing again across our whole sharepoint site. Somehow it is disabled. I am the only sharepoint active admin so it is a total mystery why the other options are no longer available.

We are mainly concerned about INTERNAL sharing (its all gray). External is a low priority but not being able to share folders with new staff groups is a bad place to be

Monday, June 17, 2019 8:22 PM
  • Hi Jay,

Still can't share file with people in group with the link after you run this power shell command?

Best regards

Itch Sun

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:57 AM
  • Hey mate,

Trying to run this command but without luck. I am guessing i am just missing something here. I put in our site into the "fullurl" bit...

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 3:12 AM