none
Review Job Definitions in CA -> Operation is not valid due to the current state of the operation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In a newly installed Sharepoint 2010 farm, I try to open Monitoring -> Review Job Definition in CA.

I get the following error "Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object".

This resolution did not work:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/7c5b735f-9ec7-4d58-9c02-4180b57b1928

From the ULS:

System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.   
    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationJob.get_UserProfileApplication()    
    at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationJob.get_DisplayName()     at
    (...)

The User Profile Service (UPS) worked correctly and did synchronize profiles from the AD.

Due to this error I deleted the UPS, but still the same error.  

Then I successfully reinstalled UPS with new databases. Still same error.

Anyone have an idea to resolve this?

Best regards
    Roar Kristiansen,
    Skill AS

Friday, January 7, 2011 7:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• I would delete the User Profile Service Application and try accessing it again (do not create a new one yet). If this works then provision a new one but this time call it a different name to the last time around, so if you called it "UPA1" the first time call it "UPA2". Try it again. Also make sure that the UPA account is a local administrator for the configuration etc.

Also as a check make the timer service account have specific permission to the UPA databases.

Just a couple of things to try.

Thanks

Liam

Friday, January 7, 2011 3:36 PM
  • I would delete the User Profile Service Application and try accessing it again (do not create a new one yet). If this works then provision a new one but this time call it a different name to the last time around, so if you called it "UPA1" the first time call it "UPA2". Try it again. Also make sure that the UPA account is a local administrator for the configuration etc.

Also as a check make the timer service account have specific permission to the UPA databases.

Just a couple of things to try.

Thanks

Liam

Thanks for your suggestions, I've already tried this, and I could not access the Job definitions after deleteing the UPA. The service account has full access to both databases and UPA.

Regards
    Roar

Sunday, January 9, 2011 1:34 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem which was caused by installing a language pack. I've tried rolling back but no luck.

I've also applied the latest December CU to no avail.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:28 PM
  • I also have this problem on December CU and have re-created the user profile application without luck.  If you find a solution, please post.  Occurred to me immediately following a database attach upgrade from 2007.
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 6:40 AM
  • I have fixed mine with instructions from http://blog.schauweb.dk/post/2010/12/01/User-Profile-Service.aspx.  There were invalid jobs setup from a previous attempt at provisioning the UPS that needed to be removed.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Thank you for sharing! Since my server was new, I did a re-install...

Regards
    Roar

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Not good to use links to describe the steps... it's since been removed.

For anyone coming across this in the future and wanting to know exactly how it's done:

Get-SPTimerJob | where {$_.DisplayName -like ""} | fl | out-file -filepath "C:\timerjobs.txt"

Then you have to open that file in Notepad and grab each ID individually from each job and do this manually for each one:

$job = Get-SPTimerJob -id insertGUIDhere

$job.Delete()

Then the Timer Job Definition page will open.

• Proposed as answer by Anup T Roy Wednesday, October 16, 2019 8:21 AM
    Friday, March 1, 2019 10:35 PM
  • Thank you for posting these steps. The link is in fact dead for anyone who is interested. 

I followed your steps and they worked perfectly. Merci!

Thursday, June 27, 2019 4:31 PM
  • Thank You So much for this Solution .\

This Solution has worked for me in SHarePOint 2019 

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 8:23 AM