none
how to keep same URL post migration from 2010 site to 2016? RRS feed

• Question

• One web application migrated from 2010 to 2016, I want same URL in 2016 also what we need to do?
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:13 AM

Answers

• You would make no DNS changes until you were ready to go-live on 2016.

On each client and SharePoint 2016 server, you would modify C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts to point 'spstest.com' to the IP of the SharePoint 2016 serving as the WFE (or if you have a load balancer in front of 2016, that IP). This way, systems with this hosts file entry can test/interact with 2016.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:52 PM
  • First make sure your users have Local Administrator access to there client machines to change their host file i doubt that.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 4:11 PM
  • If you have a LB in front of 2016, use the LB VIP configured for your Web App(s).

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by sns shyam Thursday, September 19, 2019 4:52 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:08 PM

All replies

• Just create the same web application Url and migrate the site collections from 2010 to 2016, it's pretty straight forward if you need the same url in two different farms. but that won't work from outside of SharePoint server with same url atleast you need to have some difference between the url's like one with http and other with https. Just FYI.. Not Possible in outside of SharePoint Server's.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:36 AM
  • Hi Sharath,

Thank you for the response.

What we need to do if we want to work outside of the SharePoint server?

After creating web application with same URL what we have to do to make it work?

Do we need to do anything in AAM, DNS and load balancer? 

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 12:11 PM
  • No, it can't be possible you can't browse 2 same url's from outside of the SharePoint servers there has to be some difference like i said at least one URL with HTTP and other URL with HTTPS. 

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 12:24 PM
  •  Go To DNS Server  and change the enter to your New Server.

In SharePoint

Add Entry in Alternate access mapping for the old url after migration and it will start working.

Regards, Sachin

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 12:49 PM
  • Hi Sharath,

What we need to do if we want to work outside of the SharePoint server?

After creating web application with same URL what we have to do to make it work?

Do we need to do anything in AAM, DNS and load balancer? 

Use the same URL as your 2010 farm and implement hosts file records on the client machines and new SharePoint servers that point to the proper IP. This is how I perform upgrades and it works great. It also means you don't have to fix-up any hardcoded URLs during the testing phase.

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:18 PM
  • Hi Seward and sharath,

example:

I have Webapplication "spstest.com" in 2010 environment it has one IP, lets say that IP is  x.x.x.x

and in new 2016 environment I created Web application with same URL "spstest.com" and added host entry in local and DNS server (and then DB restore and mounting was done) as we know now this server has different IP ex: y.y.y.y

Then 

as per your suggestion, this web application created in the 2016 server should point to which IP? 

Please clarify.. Thank you

• Edited by sns shyam Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:12 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:11 PM
  • You would make no DNS changes until you were ready to go-live on 2016.

On each client and SharePoint 2016 server, you would modify C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts to point 'spstest.com' to the IP of the SharePoint 2016 serving as the WFE (or if you have a load balancer in front of 2016, that IP). This way, systems with this hosts file entry can test/interact with 2016.

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:52 PM
  • First make sure your users have Local Administrator access to there client machines to change their host file i doubt that.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 4:11 PM
  • Hi sns shyam,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 2:34 AM
  • Hi Seward,

so in host file entry, do we need to give WFE 2016  server IP   OR load balancer IP? 

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 12:34 PM
  • If you have a LB in front of 2016, use the LB VIP configured for your Web App(s).

Trevor Seward

• Marked as answer by sns shyam Thursday, September 19, 2019 4:52 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:08 PM