none
How to update a workflow task without completing it (add save button) RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed a fairly complex workflow based on the custom task capabilities of SharePoint Designer.  Ultimately, the end user is presented with a task that asks them to perform some work function.  All good.  The problem is that some of the "tasks" will require the user to complete the "task" in multiple steps.  e.g.  I did step one...   I did step two...

The problem is the functionality exposed only allows the user to "Complete" the task, adding the comments as they see fit.  I would like the user to enter comments (I did step one)  then save the task.  At a later time they can add more comments (I did step two) and complete the task.

All of the functionality exposed (Complete, Reject, ReAssign, Request Change) all add comments and mark the task as Complete.  I though I had it by:

1. Adding an "Update" option/button to the Task Outcomes.
    2. Creating a custom InfoPath form for the task content type.
    3. Adding a Boolean flag, "Updated", that gets set when the button is selected
    4. Creating a rule in InfoPath that submits the data to the Host Environment and leaving the form open.
    5. Creating a new workflow that runs when an Item is changed, populates the data and clears the flag from the task

OK,  long story short... I want to add a Save Button to a custom workflow task and I got nada

Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you try to edit the Task form using InfoPath designer here you can add the button control to your task edit form, here you can save the data to your task list from the Form.

On you’re save button action you need to set as send data to the list using main data source

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Submit-and-save-form-data-ae82ee07-8acb-4636-8a98-0a7bf664a998?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1

KRISHANA KUMAR

SharePoint Architect

Mosstechnet-kk.com

Please click "Mark As Answer" if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful

Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:26 PM
  • I took a look at this and I don't think I can get this to work.  Because this is a workflow generated task the ability to update a list (tasks) is not available, only a form library.  Using the Hosting Environment option seems to be the correct way but it's beyond my abilities to create a application in Visual Studio to support this.  

If I rephrase my request, perhaps someone can help suggest a solution.  

Firstly, I am limiting myself to SharePoint Designer and InfoPath... these are the tools I am familiar with and Visual Studio has too steep a learning curve for me at this point (been 20+ years since I coded in C).  Also, I'm stuck with workflow generated tasks because the initiation of this process begins with a submission to a Form Library.

Basically, I want to create a workflow task that will allow the end user to add comments.  These comments are then added to a third list item (we'll call this the "issue").  Allowing a separate, but not involved, user to monitor activity.  

All of this works with one glaring exception.  The workflow demands that the user assigned to the task be able to update the issue more than once.  When the user adds a comment, the workflow task completes and the workflow continues to move forward as if the "work" was competed.  I need to allow the user to add comments more than once, recording their work activity... adding a save/update button seem to be the natural step but I can't seem to get this to work.  

The only other way I can think of is to start another workflow task, as soon as this completes.  It still requires a different button besides complete, but I can used the Outcome field as a control mechanism.  This would need a Loop in the workflow that watched for this outcome and started over is set.  I've never been able to build a loop in SharePoint Designer.

So these are the ways I can figure out, but I can't get either to work.  Stuck and hoping for Ideas.

Friday, May 13, 2016 6:38 PM
  • Craig,

Were you ever able to find a solution to this? I had built a multi-list multi-workflow in WSS 3.0 where custom tasks were generated and users were able to save their progress before completing. I'm now rebuilding the environment in Sharepoint 2016 and my custom tasks no longer have the ability to "save", only complete.

I too am limited in my tools to InfoPath and Sharepoint Designer and hoping you have found a solution. Currently, my users are having to keep notes elsewhere and then update their tasks all at once . . .not a very user friendly solution.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 3:15 AM
  • Hello,

We have an InfoPath 2010 form that has two buttons, one button only Saves a Draft (ie: does not include a rule that submits using a data connection) and the second button Saves and Submits (ie: does include a rule that saves/submits using a data connection). This works fine for us and may work for you, as well.

I wish you the best.

Cordially,

John

Thank you, John from Portland, Maine

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 9:14 PM
  • Hi Creg,

I need to have a customized button (OnHold) which Approver can click from Task Edit from as many times followed by comments.  The comments entered should update the task fields so others to know the reason for not approving a request by the approver.  Task assigned should NOT be completed upon clicking of "OnHold" button as Approver should be able to Approver/Reject later using the same task assigned to him/her

Any solution out of the box from SPD on Infopath Task Edit Form ? Pls advise

AJ

Sunday, September 22, 2019 7:18 AM
  • Hi Kumar,

I need to have a customized button (OnHold) which Approver can click from Task Edit from as many times followed by comments.  The comments entered should update the task fields so others to know the reason for not approving a request by the approver.  Task assigned should NOT be completed upon clicking of "OnHold" button as Approver should be able to Approver/Reject later using the same task assigned to him/her

Any solution out of the box from SPD on Infopath Task Edit Form ? Pls advise

AJ

Sunday, September 22, 2019 7:19 AM