none
Cannot access Central Administration - "Module SharePoint14Module could not be found" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a simple SharePoint farm set up (one web frontend web server and one backend database server), and have never had a problem accessing the Central Administration page. Today however, I received an HTTP 500 error when trying to access it. I enabled Failed Request Tracing in IIS, and found the following error description: Module "SharePoint14Module" could not be found:

What is the "SharePoint14Module", and what can cause it to suddenly not be found?

I cannot think of anything that has changed since the last time I accessed the Central Administration page, except for Windows updates being installed this past week and the server rebooted.

Thanks.

Friday, November 16, 2012 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have a try of the following, use semicolon seperated multiple application pool.

<add name="SharePoint14Module" image="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\isapi\owssvr.dll" preCondition="appPoolName=SharePoint Central Administration v4, bitness=64; SharePoint - 80" />

Regards,

Kelly Chen

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:13 AM
  • This will not be resolved by rebooting the server. You need to make some changes in ApplicationHost.config .

for more details about ApplicationHost.config ,please follow given link.

http://www.iis.net/learn/get-started/planning-your-iis-architecture/introduction-to-applicationhostconfig

Start-->Run-->type "inetsrv"---navigate to "Config" folder ...Open ApplicationHost.config file.

In   <globalModules></globalModules> tags.

Replace

<add name="SharePoint14Module" image="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\isapi\owssvr.dll"
     preCondition="appPoolName=SharePoint Central Administration v4" />

To

<add name="SharePoint14Module" image="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\isapi\owssvr.dll" preCondition=
    "appPoolName=SharePoint Central Administration v4,bitness64" />

Even if it is not working then take backup of all webapplication and re-run configuration wizard. And then restore all webapplications.

avinash devkate

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To resolve the issue SharePoint14Module" could not be found, we edit applicationHost.config and add the application pool of the affected site to the line :
    <add name="SharePoint14Module" image="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\isapi\owssvr.dll" preCondition="appPoolName=SharePoint Central Administration v4"............... />

Regards,

Kelly Chen

Monday, November 19, 2012 9:00 AM
  • Hello Kelly Chen,
    Sorry, I am still learning the ins and outs of IIS, but I found that the following line is already present in applicationHost.config:          

<add name="SharePoint14Module" image="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\isapi\owssvr.dll" preCondition="appPoolName=SharePoint - 80" />

When I add your line after the above one, I still get the same error message. When I replace the above line with yours, it takes down my main Sharepoint site, and the Central Admin site says that it cannot connect to the configuration database.

Am I missing something?

Monday, November 19, 2012 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

Have a try of the following, use semicolon seperated multiple application pool.

<add name="SharePoint14Module" image="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\isapi\owssvr.dll" preCondition="appPoolName=SharePoint Central Administration v4, bitness=64; SharePoint - 80" />

Regards,

Kelly Chen

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:13 AM
  • This will not be resolved by rebooting the server. You need to make some changes in ApplicationHost.config .

for more details about ApplicationHost.config ,please follow given link.

http://www.iis.net/learn/get-started/planning-your-iis-architecture/introduction-to-applicationhostconfig

Start-->Run-->type "inetsrv"---navigate to "Config" folder ...Open ApplicationHost.config file.

In   <globalModules></globalModules> tags.

Replace

<add name="SharePoint14Module" image="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\isapi\owssvr.dll"
     preCondition="appPoolName=SharePoint Central Administration v4" />

To

<add name="SharePoint14Module" image="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\isapi\owssvr.dll" preCondition=
    "appPoolName=SharePoint Central Administration v4,bitness64" />

Even if it is not working then take backup of all webapplication and re-run configuration wizard. And then restore all webapplications.

avinash devkate

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:32 AM
  • I had today the same error message in SP2019 due to Office 2016 was installed on the same box.

I had another sympthoms as well, like PowerShell (I mean SharePoint 2019 Mnagement Shell) was started with the error message: "Could not read the XML Configuration file in the folder 16\CONFIG\PowerShell\Registration\".

It was all caused by a missing registry value ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\16.0\Location": "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\16\"), as described here in details: https://rasper87.wordpress.com/2018/01/16/sharepoint-2016-wfe-stopped-working-after-office-2016-installed-on-same-server/ and here: https://www.dmcinfo.com/latest-thinking/blog/id/9357/sharepoint-2016-forgets-where-its-installed-after-update.

I hope it helps.

Peter

• Edited by Peter Holpar Wednesday, October 16, 2019 11:04 AM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 11:03 AM