none
(Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 8) External Program Unable To Connect To SQL Server. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a program called Solution 9.
    I am trying to get it to authenticate through to my database, but it won't connect. Instead it comes back with a message saying

"Unable to open database.

Login failed for user [ * ]"

When I check the log on SQL Server it says there is a password mismatch.
    I have cleared the password for the user on my SQL Server. But no luck, which would suggest that the program has an encrypted password that it is trying to use for the login process.

My question is, how do I find out what the password is? How do I trace it so that I can then adjust my SQL user to accept that password?

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:17 AM

Answers

• You can not capture the Password, you have to ask the Software vendor Support.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:35 AM
  • That question is not a SQL Server question. You have an app which submits a string to SQL server. That string is encrypted before submitted to SQL server, for obvious security reasons (by the network layer).

The software obviously have the password somewhere, possibly encrypted, but we have no information at all about that side of things. Perhaps a Visual Studio forum, assuming that the software was written in VS and there's a decompiler that can generate something meaningful. But there's nothing at the SQL Server side that can be done.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 10:37 AM

All replies

• You can not capture the Password, you have to ask the Software vendor Support.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:35 AM
  • Is there no way I can decompile the program? or decode it back into its visual studio state and find it through the coding?

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 3:28 PM
  • Hi Max Smith Guitarist,

>>Is there no way I can decompile the program? or decode it back into its visual studio state and find it through the coding?

As far as I know, you can’t. 

Best regards,
    Cathy Ji

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 6:41 AM
  • That question is not a SQL Server question. You have an app which submits a string to SQL server. That string is encrypted before submitted to SQL server, for obvious security reasons (by the network layer).

The software obviously have the password somewhere, possibly encrypted, but we have no information at all about that side of things. Perhaps a Visual Studio forum, assuming that the software was written in VS and there's a decompiler that can generate something meaningful. But there's nothing at the SQL Server side that can be done.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 10:37 AM