Using On-Premises on Power BI Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I am currently using the Pro trial version for Power BI, and my company is planning on buying Pro subscription for some of us that use the Power BI Reports. 

I was wondering if I could use the on-premises data refresh if I get the Power BI pro version. If I am understanding the context correctly, then I should be able to, but when I tried it, it throws an error with setting the connection.

If I try to refresh the report on the workspace(Web), is that possible by having the Power BI Pro license?

Thanks,

Jorge

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 12:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Jorge,

Thanks for your response.

According to your description, your problem is more related to PowerBI. Since our forum is discussing Power Pivot issue, to solve your question more efficiently, please post your question in PowerBI forum: http://community.powerbi.com ,you will get a more professional support from there, thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, August 3, 2017 1:12 AM

All replies

• Hi guys,

I am currently using the Pro trial version for Power BI, and my company is planning on buying Pro subscription for some of us that use the Power BI Reports. 

I was wondering if I could use the on-premises data refresh if I get the Power BI pro version. If I am understanding the context correctly, then I should be able to, but when I tried it, it throws an error with setting the connection.

If I try to refresh the report on the workspace(Web), is that possible by having the Power BI Pro license?

Thanks,

Jorge

Jorge,

Data refresh are possible depending on the source of the data.

Power BI Desktop file

Data source Automatic refresh User configured manual or scheduled refresh Gateway required
    Get Data (on the ribbon) is used to connect to and query data from any listed online data source. No Yes No (see below)
    Get Data is used to connect to and explore a live Analysis Services database. Yes No Yes
    Get Data is used to connect to and explore a supported on-premises DirectQuery data source. Yes No Yes
    Get Data is used to connect to and query data from an Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, Azure HDInsight Spark. Yes (hourly) No No
    Get Data is used to connect to and query data from any listed on-premises data source except for Hadoop file (HDFS) and Microsoft Exchange. No Yes

Yes

Source

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-data/

Please mark this questions as answered if you are satisfied. 

Cheers,

JP

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 12:24 AM
  • I Get an Error Saying This

Failed to update gateway details. Please try again.
    This request operation sent to net.pipe://localhost/<g class="gr_ gr_15 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="15" id="15">powerbi</g>/<g class="gr_ gr_16 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace replaceWithoutSep replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="16" id="16">personalgatewayconfiguration</g>/service did not receive a reply within the configured timeout (00:01:00).  The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.  This may be because the service is still processing the operation or because the service was unable to send a reply message.  Please consider increasing the operation timeout (by casting the channel/proxy to IContextChannel and setting the OperationTimeout property) and ensure that the service is able to connect to the client.

Server stack trace: 
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DuplexChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.InternalContracts.IGatewayConfigurationService.UpdateGatewayConfiguration(UpdateGatewayConfigurationRequest request)
       at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.UpdateGatewayConfiguration(UpdateGatewayConfigurationRequest request)

I'm not sure what the problem is. Is there any solutions or help I can get?

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 4:01 AM
  • Hi Jorge,

Thanks for your question.

According to your description, you may need to install the on-premises data gateway.

The on-premises data gateway acts as a bridge, providing quick and secure data transfer between on-premises data (data that is not in the cloud) and the Power BI, Microsoft Flow, Logic Apps, and PowerApps services.

You can use a single gateway with different services at the same time. If you are using Power BI, as well as PowerApps, a single gateway and be used for both. It is dependent on the account you sign in with.

For more information, please refer to below document:
    https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/

If you have already done that, you may also need to replace localhost with a FQDN name for your server. See below image:

According to your description, your problem is more related to PowerBI. Since our forum is discussing Power Pivot issue, to solve your question more efficiently, please post your question in PowerBI forum: http://community.powerbi.com ,you will get a more professional support from there, thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 7:28 AM
  • Hi JorgeKang,

You need to download & configure On-premise data gateway to create a schedule refresh on the Power BI Site with your On-premise data.

Refer the below URL for more information:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 4:26 PM
  • I have configured the On-premise data gateway, but when I try to download and configure my personal mode, the same error pops up. Is there a reason why ?

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 9:04 PM
  • Hi Jorge,

Thanks for your response.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support

Thursday, August 3, 2017 1:12 AM