none
Migrating SQL Server 2012 running Windows 2012 r2 failover cluster to new hardware RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I wish to migrate SQL Server 2012 with Windows 2012 R2 failover onto a new server running the same level sql server and windows OS. Sql Server has alwayson enabled and working, many users and security groups, and various sql server agents jobs tasks. 

Thanks in advance..

ND

Thursday, July 9, 2015 8:14 AM

Answers

All replies

• Refer this link will help you.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh923056.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Vote As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue

Thursday, July 9, 2015 11:15 AM
  • Hi ND,

Firstly, you can  follow the steps in Cross-cluster Migration of AlwaysOn Availability Groups for Operating System Upgrades word document to migrate SQL Server AlwaysOn Availability Groups to another Windows Failover Cluster.

Secondly, use backup/restore method to migrate other user databases that not participating in AlwaysOn Availability Groups. And execute the script in this KB article to transfer the logins between instances of SQL Server 2012 on different servers.

Thirdly, you can transfer SQL server agent jobs from one server to another using SSIS task or other ways. For more details, please review this blog: Transfer SQL Server Agent Job(s) between servers.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 10, 2015 2:59 AM
  • Dear All,

I wish to migrate SQL Server 2012 with Windows 2012 R2 failover onto a new server running the same level sql server and windows OS. Sql Server has alwayson enabled and working, many users and security groups, and various sql server agents jobs tasks. 

Thanks in advance..

ND

I would suggest to first create new setup and then create Windows failover clsuter.

After this create SQL Server failover cluster and move databases by backup restore and logins by method Lydia pointed. This is safest and IMHO best approach. It gives you more control over migration

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Friday, July 10, 2015 4:46 AM