none
Moving Measures in a separate table (PBI & SSAS 2017 Live Connection) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I’m using SSAS 2017 to store my tabular model.  As frontend I’m using Power BI Desktop Release March 2018.
    Because in the meantime I have a huge amount of measures (stored in SSAS 2017 tabluar mode) I want to  structure and group them. Of course I could use display folders but I would rather prefer to a separate “measure table”.
    From the PBI Desktop I already know that measures are “table inspecific”, so they can technically live anywhere. Furthermore, I know how to move measures between tables (or to a specific measure table) easily in Power BI.
    But as far as I experienced it with the tabular model in SSAS this easy way is not possible. In fact, I have to cut out the measure from one table and paste it into the new location/table. Thus, actually I have to recreate them.
    The disadvantage accompanied by this approach is that the connection to the moved measure gets lost in the PBI Desktop and I receive and error in my PBI report that the measure is not available anymore.

Is there any other way to move a measure in SSAS 2017 in the way you can do it in Power BI Desktop?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Dom

Thursday, September 6, 2018 9:16 AM

Answers

• Hi DomPower,

Yes, you are right.

Currently, there's no easy way like in Power BI to move measures between tables. We can cut a measure, but only paste in again in the same table, not in a different table.

The current process is to create a duplicate of the original measure with a different name, delete original measure and then rename the new measure.

Alternatively, cut/run/past/run the JSON code from table to table in SSMS.

There's a similar request posted in SQL Server Feedback, please vote it up and Microsoft may consider to improve this feature in future release.

See: Move measures between tables in SSAS Tabular

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support<br/> Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact <a href="mailto:MSDNFSF@microsoft.com">MSDNFSF@microsoft.com</a>.

• Marked as answer by DomPower Friday, September 7, 2018 6:31 AM
    Friday, September 7, 2018 3:26 AM

All replies

• Hi DomPower,

Yes, you are right.

Currently, there's no easy way like in Power BI to move measures between tables. We can cut a measure, but only paste in again in the same table, not in a different table.

The current process is to create a duplicate of the original measure with a different name, delete original measure and then rename the new measure.

Alternatively, cut/run/past/run the JSON code from table to table in SSMS.

There's a similar request posted in SQL Server Feedback, please vote it up and Microsoft may consider to improve this feature in future release.

See: Move measures between tables in SSAS Tabular

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support<br/> Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact <a href="mailto:MSDNFSF@microsoft.com">MSDNFSF@microsoft.com</a>.

• Marked as answer by DomPower Friday, September 7, 2018 6:31 AM
    Friday, September 7, 2018 3:26 AM
  • Thanks a lot.

Just a short remark on your response. If you do it that way Power BI will loose the connection to the measure you have moved and the visual will break. Thus, doing that when reports are already in use is not wise to do because all the visuals attached to that measure will break and you have to fix them manually.

• Edited by DomPower Friday, September 7, 2018 7:28 AM typo
    Friday, September 7, 2018 7:27 AM
  • FYI, a workaround is you can use Tabular Editor which has this ability.
    Friday, November 22, 2019 1:34 AM