Proxy account principals not saved

• I am trying to create a Proxy account to use for Job Scheduling, but when ever I add Logins to the Principals  in the Proxy Properties and click OK, when I check again, they are not saved.  Is there a reason why this happens?  Is there an alternate way to add principals?  Thanks.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 4:05 PM

All replies

• A little bit late to the party.

But I had the same problem.

If you scripted out the part where you are trying to add a principal and ran that in SSMS, you may get an error message.

The error message that I got alluded to my principal having sysadmin role, and grants cannot be applied if login has sysadmin.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:12 AM
  • Although this question was asked years ago but  still thought of answering it as this is the sole link I found when i myself was loooking for an answer. So this is for those who will have same question in future & happen to visit this link.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Version SQL Server 2012

Whenever you are adding the principals , make sure you have selected the correct pricipal type

Also make sure you have added the Principal type of "Msdb role" and under this you will need to select all the three SQLAGENTRoles. Then once you save & close & go back in the principals you should be able to see them.

I wanted to run a job as a specific "windows" login which can access data files from a remote server. So I needed this windows login to schedule/run the job. Following are the steps:

1. Create a credential and add the windows login as the "identity" and give the windows password as the identity's password.

2. Create a proxy and add the above credential to it

3. Add principals to the proxy, make sure you select the correct principal type e.g. if you select SQL login & try to assign window's login it will not give error but it will not save it either.

4. Because we used window's login , so we only added the MSDB pricipal types "SQLAgentreaderRole", "SQLAgentUserRole" & "SQLAgentOperatorRole".

You can also add SQL logins but I think you will only need to add SQL Logins if you will run the job as various sql logins in addition to the sql login you used to create the "Credentials".*you will need to test this*

5. Now create the job , create a new step and in that set Run as "<Proxyname>" instead of SQL Server agent.

Job done!

• Edited by AD002 Tuesday, October 28, 2014 4:34 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 4:32 PM