none
Integrating Tableau server report with SharePoint

Question

• Hi 

The requirement is to have Tebleau server report to be integrated with SharePoint. We can integrate the report using a page viewer web part but in the web part it asks for log in credentials, also Tableau server is installed on a different server with local authentication mechanism. What I want is the report be available to all the domain users on SharePoint available on a different server. I see an option - to use Secure store service but then it requires the authentication mechanism to be changed in Tableau server by uninstalling it first and then install it again (which we consider is not feasible) so that using the secure store credentials the report automatically logs in and shows the report to all the authenticated SharePoint users.

How can we implement the auto log in feature for Tableau report in the page viewer web part so that the report is available already (Secure Store) and the SharePoint logged in user does not have to go and log in.

Any pointers or suggestions to accomplish this using any other method also would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, April 14, 2014 6:34 AM

All replies

• Did you check this 

http://www.jenunderwood.com/2014/03/03/how-to-integrate-tableau-with-microsoft-reporting-services/

http://maxderungs.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/workaround-display-tableau-report-in-sharepoint/

Let us know if this helps, thanks

Regards,
    Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com
    Posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Please remember to click Mark As Answer if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if it was useful.

Monday, April 14, 2014 9:29 AM
  • Thanks a lot Pratik.

I checked both the links. My problem is that we have to again login if we show the report by putting the URL in the html or by using javascript in the Content Editor Web part.

The actual scenario is that the Tableau server is installed in a server with local authentication mechanism so it does not connect to AD while log in. We want to share the report across the enterprise (Enterprise domain and AD) and hence with SharePoint (SharePoint - all authenticated users). We don't want to login every time to Tableau server through the web part when we log in to SharePoint. We login to SharePoint, click open the SharePoint page and want to see the report in web part.

Some sort of SSO is required.

Any pointers or inputs is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:50 AM
  • Tableau server is installed in a server with local authentication mechanism so it does not connect to AD while log in. We want to share the report across the enterprise (Enterprise domain and AD) and hence with SharePoint (SharePoint - all authenticated users). 

I don't think so we can configure SSO with local authentication. Also as you mentioned you have installed Tableau server locally and need enterprise domain and AD to access it, how can it be possible without providing AD authentication ?

Regards,
    Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com
    Posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Please remember to click Mark As Answer if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if it was useful.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:39 AM
  • There are certain local user accounts maintained in Tableau server. What I thought was while signing into SharePoint, which is in AD domain, we will authenticate the user using AD for SharePoint and in the web part where the report is suppose to be seen should automatically login and show the report using SSO.

Just to check if our understanding is on the same page.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:08 AM
  • Also to mention both SharePoint and Tableau server are installed on two different servers.

I am not an expert on Tableau but it seems it can be installed on a server in enterprise domain but to access the documents and reports of tableau server it needs to be tableau authenticated user maintained locally.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:16 AM
  • Sorry this is not an answer to your questions, but a suggestion on long term.

There is a service application that you can install on SharePoint server for Tableau, You could change the authentication mode in Tableau server to make it integrated well.

That is probably a better approach and the change the authentication mode to authenticate with AD.

I dont think there is any restriction on Tableau server to access files when you have it in AD authentication mode.

Thanks

Nate

• Proposed as answer by SPTQs Thursday, June 18, 2015 3:35 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by SPTQs Thursday, June 18, 2015 3:35 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2014 6:44 PM
  • Hi Shrink Tech,

Do you have the answer for your question, because I am also trying to accomplish the same. If you have any suggestion or solutions please let me know.

Thanks

Praveen.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 3:13 PM
  • nothing as yet. However didnot get chance to look more into it. 

Please share if you got some method to implement the same.

Regards

Sunday, April 10, 2016 3:42 PM