none
provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server

Question

• Hi All,

I am new to dotnet. I tried connecting to the database MS SQL Server 2000. I gave the code like, the one below, in form load event,

SqlDataReader dr = null;

SqlConnection myConnection = new SqlConnection("Data Source=IP;Initial Catalog=name;User Id=uid;Password=pwd;");

myConnection.Open();

myConnection.Close();

But I could not connect. The error message highlights the line myConnection.Open() and displays the error

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

It tries connecting to SQL Server 2005. There is no SQL Server 2005 in that system. There is only SQL Server 2000.

I have the aspx code in my local system and the database in another machine.

Could Someone please help me out in solving this problem.

Thanks,

Arun. S

Monday, February 20, 2006 5:37 AM

Answers

•  

Hi, this error occurs because the .Net 2.0 by default connects to SQL 2005. It is important that u give the server name rather than the IP. And moreover never reveal ur login name and password details in sites like this. an intruder might easily access ur site and that too u have given the IP. avoid making such simple mistakes.

Monday, March 13, 2006 11:36 AM

All replies

• This error is coming from the driver it is telling you that it cannot find *ANY* SQL Server at the IP address x.x.x.x.

The driver just adds SQL 2005 to the error string blindly in other words.

So you need to generally debug why you can't connect to SQL Server on IP x.x.x.x.

Most likely cause is firewall on SQL Server machine is blocking port 1433.  Easiest way to fix this is to go to the SQL Server machine, open up Windows Firewall utility in Control Panel, and go to the Exceptions tab and add sqlservr.exe to exception list.  But a good reference is this KB article:

842242 Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;842242

It describes how to open the firewall properly.

Matt

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:03 AM
  • Hi Matt,

Thanks for ur help. The point is, that ip belongs to a machine which i could not connect to. I wrote the same code in another machine with WebMatrix as editor, the code is working perfectly. I di not even change a single line of code which i used in my machine. I dont know why and i cannot find out the reason. I could not get the concept right. Do u know the reason?? Could u please help me out??

Thanks and Regards,

Arun. S

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 7:51 AM
  •  

Hi, this error occurs because the .Net 2.0 by default connects to SQL 2005. It is important that u give the server name rather than the IP. And moreover never reveal ur login name and password details in sites like this. an intruder might easily access ur site and that too u have given the IP. avoid making such simple mistakes.

Monday, March 13, 2006 11:36 AM
  • Do you enable TCP protocol on our own client machine?

If you only enable Named Pipes on your client and NP is disabled on the server, you can have this problem. Use sql server client utility to check whether TCP is enabled.

c:\windows\system32\cliconfg.exe

Xinwei

Monday, March 13, 2006 7:34 PM
  • Thanks man. This is the first time iam using a forum and that's why i gave the ip. I changed it. Thanks for ur advice.
    Tuesday, March 14, 2006 5:57 AM
  •  Matt Neerincx wrote:

Please remove the ip from the reply u gave me........

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 6:03 AM
  • Hi, Arun

If you came across any connectivity issue to SQL 2005, you can visit SQL Protocols Blog for troubleshooting tips.

http://blogs.msdn.com/sql%5Fprotocols/

Thanks!

Ming.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 6:31 PM
  • I got the same error with Named Pipes, and was able to solve it by setting up an alias to the DB Server on my Client computer (using SQL Server Configuration Manager). I created a Named Pipes alias with the server name having the same name as the alias name.
    Thursday, March 23, 2006 3:38 PM
  • Hi Christopher,

Sorry, I tried it but i could not get success.

I used Server name as alias name, Named Pipes as Protocol and Pipe Name as \\DS73SDIDEV2\pipe\sql\query and server is the one ahead of pipe in the above line word (with blue line).

I still get the same problem when running from Visual Studio 2005.

Can you help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Umesh Bhavsar

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:23 PM
  •  

Hi Friends,

I am encountered with following Problem,

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this

failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.

(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the

stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the

server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings

SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a

connection to SQL Server)

Why it gives error for sql2005 even i am using sql2000

Reply me

Thanks

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:02 PM
  • Are you logged into the same domain as the server?

If you aren't you can use password management in the advanced tab of user accounts and add the server with the domain id and password.  After that it will always pass that domain id and password when you use anything to connect to that server.

I have also solved this issue in the past by mapping a network drive to the server.  Although I have never fully understood when I have to do this and when not as NP connections sometimes work without this.  If someone can shed some definitive light I would be appreciative.

Regards, 

Susan Shafer

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:00 PM
  • Yes I have logged in the same domain as the server.

What is the Password Management , I dont Know abt it.

Thanks For Reply

Yogesh

Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:19 AM
  •  

I had the same problem as not being able to connect to the sql server, I added the name and IP of the sql server into c:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS file on the web server. It is working now. So easy!
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:54 PM
  • That is very helpful information; yes, for me it was as simple as specifying the entire server name (i.e. "serverName\SQLEXPRESS") not just "serverName"
    Friday, June 27, 2008 4:31 AM
  • Hi, I just brought up a vista64 on a new pc.. Sql Mgr 2005 Express wouldn't connect to my win2k3 server with sql 2005 express on it, but yet my old vista32 still would. Everything looked correct, so I went looking and found this post. I had forgotten about cliconfig, it's been a year and a half or so, enabled tcp, and it now works great. Thanks for the reminder.

-ed

Saturday, August 02, 2008 6:41 PM
  •  KJHGIUYGIU wrote:
    That is very helpful information; yes, for me it was as simple as specifying the entire server name (i.e. "serverName\SQLEXPRESS") not just "serverName"

Haha, ya this was my problem too.  Duh.  I'm such an idiot.
    Thursday, August 07, 2008 8:56 PM
  • I have put (127.0.0.1 NOMBRE-1700A561\SQLEXPRESS) in hosts file and I have the same error,  Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 ....

What Can I do?

I have enabled remote connections....

Please Help me..

Friday, August 29, 2008 12:10 PM
  •  

I think you would want this in your hosts file, if anything (without the \SQLEXPRESS):

Code Snippet
    127.0.0.1 NOMBRE-1700A561

However, that shouldn't really be necessary unless you are having DNS issues.  Is the SQL Browser service started on your server?

Friday, August 29, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I tried whith and whithout \SQLEXPRESS and it doesn´t work.

The computer where the application is runing it´s a personal computer, whithout a domain and I have instaled Sql Server Express 2005. The conection string is the following one: Data Source=NOMBRE-1700A561\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=TERAPIAS_NATURALES;Integrated Security=True

I don´t know what I have to changue because the same application in my work computer it´s rouning well. The only diference it´s that my works computer it is in a domain.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 10:47 AM
  • A couple more things to check, then: are you sure that the SQL Server service is started?  Open services.msc, and look for the service "SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)" and make sure it is started.

Since this seems to be a local connection, instead of the computer name, just use a "." in the connection string.  So, your connection string would look like:

Code Snippet
    Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=TERAPIAS_NATURALES;Integrated Security=True

Can you verify whether or not the SQL Browser service is started?  If not, start it and try connecting again.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 10:30 PM
  •  

This also worked for my case. Thanks tngm.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:53 PM
  • I had this problem when I connect from IIS via Enterprise Library to SQL Server without use pooling, so IIS open lots of connections TIME_OUT. You can see
    using comand netstat

The default limit sockets for Windows server is 5000 user sockets. And the timeout is 4 minutes.

You can change your application to use pool (pooling = true) or chance register variables MaxUserPort and TcpTimedWaitDelay and restarting Windows Server.

Follow more explain in microsoft page:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328476/en-us

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:28 PM
  • Yes, and ur solution solved my problem. not just server name...thanks
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 1:01 PM
  • Hi Sunil

I am Ankur, I have same problem with my System I have SQL Server 2K on System Named MSSQL2000 with Default Instance, but i am facing same problem what ever I passed in my connection string IP Address or System name but i can't get this error when i point my connection string to SQL Server 2K5, both system have same configurtion and both system with Installed only SQL Server version. system with MSSQL2000 is running only MS SQL 2K and system MSSQL2005 is running only MS SQL 2K5. other configuration are same for both system... i am trying from so many days, even i add TCP and UDP port no. 1433, 1434 in firewall expe. on Server and client machine..
    Ankur Ranpariya .Net Developer.
    Friday, July 03, 2009 8:50 AM
  • So much Thanks.... :) :)
    Friday, November 11, 2011 10:01 AM