none
How to install SQL Server LocalDB with my application? RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed an application in vb.net 4.5 with VS2015 and I am using InstallShield Limited Edition to create the MSI installation file.

Some of the final users don't have internet, so I need to include the SQLLocalDB.msi and install it silently.

I can't find a single sample for this, it should be a common scenario right?

G.Waters

Saturday, July 13, 2019 11:39 PM

All replies

• I searched and found How to Publish a windows application with the new LocalDB?. I do not know if there are any relevant improvements.

Note that SQLite is currently being installed by Windows 10. Consider that for simple requirements.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, July 14, 2019 4:56 PM
  • Note that SQLite is currently being installed by Windows 10. Consider that for simple requirements.

This is news to me. Can you provide a link detailing this?

Dan Guzman, Data Platform MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

Sunday, July 14, 2019 5:32 PM
  • Did you search?

I was exploring UWP and at the time SQLite was the only database supported for UWP. Or maybe it was EF in UWP. So in the process I read that SQLite is now shipped with Windows 10 as in Reminder : Sqlite is already inside #Windows 10 – no need to include it in your #UWP apps ! | Jonathan ANTOINE's thoughts on Windows development. Of course that is not an official announcement. So I searched some more and found SQLite Databases in UWP Applications. Well that is in my website and I wrote that article. I do forget things but there it is in my article. And there is a link to a Microsoft article saying that SQLite is shipping with the Windows 10 Anniversary edition; it says in support of UWP but use of it is not limited to UWP.

There are limitations of course, but I assume that most of the limitations are the same as for LocalDB. Perhaps the most important limitation is that EF Migrations have less support of SQLite.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, July 14, 2019 10:26 PM
  • Did you search?

Yes but my binglefoo failed to find official sources. I just found this official doc page on SqlLite and UWP, which suggests one could use the SqlLite version included with Windows with .NET core 2.0 applications. Not sure if that would be a near term solution if the .NET 4.5 app in question is a tradition WinForm application.

Dan Guzman, Data Platform MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:07 AM
  • Not sure if that would be a near term solution if the .NET 4.5 app in question is a tradition WinForm application.

As best as I know it works. It should be easy if you are using EF. SQLite is in no way specific to UWP. In fact, SQLite is written in C (not C++ or anything close to a managed environment).

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:20 AM