none
Combining binaries - Same file structures, varying number of column headers RRS feed

• Question

• Hope there's a simple solution to this one, please note I'm using Excel 2016.

So I have a 8 months of sales data, each month stored in a separate excel file, each file has a separate column header for each store branch. Every few months a new store opens, or an old store closes so the number and placement of column header names changes in the file series.

When I combine binaries, it appears to simply use the first file in the series as a static template, if there are 8 columns, it will simply take the first 8 columns of each subsequent file and combine them, even if they no longer contain the same data. 

Is there a solution to this other than manually adjusting each file?

Friday, October 18, 2019 3:07 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

I guess, you use fixed value for Columns parameter of Csv.Document function, like this:

= Csv.Document(File.Contents(path),[Delimiter=",", Columns=8, Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None])

In that case you should replace Columns = 8 for Columns = null or just remove this parameter.

Otherwise, please provide your code and data sample.

Friday, October 18, 2019 4:26 PM