none
Having Trouble Creating the Service Proxy for migrating to SharePoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I enter in the below code:

New-SPMetadataServiceApplicationProxy -Name "User Profile Service Proxy 2013" -ServiceApplication $upa -DefaultGroup

I get the Error below:

ServiceApplication or URI must be specified when creating a proxy. at line:1 char:1

SharePoint Engineer - Mike

Friday, November 8, 2019 7:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike.

What is stored in the "$upa" variable? As per Microsoft documentation, it must be the local managed metadata service application to connect to (either a valid GUID, a valid name of the service application or an instance of a valid SPMetadataServiceApplication object); also, the second parameter should be "DefaultProxyGroup".

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Friday, November 8, 2019 8:22 PM
  • I'm a little of a beginner. Can you let me know where to find the GUID, valid name of the service application or instance of a valid SPMetadataServiceApplication object

Also, Where do I find the DefaultProxyGroup?

Friday, November 8, 2019 8:26 PM
  • $serviceapppool = Get-SPServiceApplicationPool "SharePoint Web Services Default"

$upa = New-SPProfileServicesApplication -Name "User Profile Service 2013" -ApplicationPool" $serviceapppool -ProfileDBProfile_2013" -SocialDBName "UPS_Social_2013"

New-SPMetadataServiceApplicationProxy -Name "User Profile Service Proxy 2013" -ServiceApplication "Managed Metadata Service" -DefaultProxyGroup

Friday, November 8, 2019 9:09 PM
  • Can you point me to the documentation as well??

Friday, November 8, 2019 9:09 PM
  • I'm a little of a beginner. Can you let me know where to find the GUID, valid name of the service application or instance of a valid SPMetadataServiceApplication object

Also, Where do I find the DefaultProxyGroup?

First of all, you need to have a Managed metadata service application in place: you can get the name of that service application from Central Administration > Application Management > Manage Service Application; that name is the one you have to pass to the New-SPMetadataServiceApplicationProxy cmdlet.
    As an example

New-SPMetadataServiceApplicationProxy -Name "MetadataServiceProxy" -ServiceApplication "MetadataServiceApp" -DefaultProxyGroup

In this example, the new proxy will be named "MetadataServiceProxy" and the Managed Metadata service application is named "MetadataServiceApp".
    The default proxy group is automatically created by SharePoint: you only need to specify the -DefaultProxyGroup switch, as in my above example.
    By default, a new service application connection is added to the farm's Default group of service application connections when you create the service application by using Central Administration. You can override this default membership. If a new service application is created by using Microsoft PowerShell instead of by using Central Administration, the new service application does not automatically become a member of the Default service application connections group unless the default parameter is supplied.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Friday, November 8, 2019 11:58 PM
  • Can you point me to the documentation as well??

The New-SPMetadataServiceApplicationProxy cmdlet is described at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/sharepoint-server/new-spmetadataserviceapplicationproxy?view=sharepoint-ps.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Saturday, November 9, 2019 12:00 AM
  • Hi, Mike,

How is everything going? Is there any further questions about your issue?

Have you checked if there is Managed metadata service application in place as Bruno said? If you have properly configured managed metadata service application, try the cmdlet below to add the proxy. Change the "name here" to the name of your user profile service application.

$upa = Get-SPServiceApplication | where {$_.name -eq "<name here>"}

New-SPProfileServiceApplicationProxy -Name 'User Profile Service Application Proxy' -ServiceApplication $upa -DefaultProxyGroup

Reference:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/sharepoint-server/new-spprofileserviceapplicationproxy?view=sharepoint-ps

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, November 11, 2019 7:34 AM
  • It's not going that good. I feel like I need to Start over to make sure I get it correct. What information does Profile Services bring over? What is it's purpose???

Monday, November 11, 2019 2:37 PM
  • How do I remove the Profile Services I configured and start over?

Monday, November 11, 2019 2:53 PM
  • It's not going that good. I feel like I need to Start over to make sure I get it correct. What information does Profile Services bring over? What is it's purpose???

The User Profile service stores information about users in a central location. It enables My Sites, social computing features such as social tagging and newsfeeds, and creating and distributing profiles across multiple sites and farms. It is also required by most SharePoint hybrid scenarios.
    The User Profile service applications is a distinct service application available in SharePoint and it is distinct from the Managed Metadata service application: you can read more about the User Profile service and User Profile service application at
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/install/user-profile-service-overview.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Monday, November 11, 2019 3:03 PM
  • If the SharePoint 2010 Site never used My Sites, Social Tagging and Newsfeeds, is necessary to migrate this Service Application?

Monday, November 11, 2019 3:44 PM
  • If the SharePoint 2010 Site never used My Sites, Social Tagging and Newsfeeds, is necessary to migrate this Service Application?

Why do you need to migrate that service application?
    What are you trying to do?

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Monday, November 11, 2019 4:18 PM
  • How do I remove the Profile Services I configured and start over?

If you need to remove a SharePoint service application, open the SharePoint Central Administration and click Manage service applications under Application Management: in the list of the service applications, select the row corresponding to the service application you want to remove and click the Delete button in the "Service Applications" tab of the SharePoint ribbon.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Monday, November 11, 2019 4:25 PM
  • I figured that out and got it to install correctly. Now it says I have to Configuring User Profiles and Social Computing. This is a Marathon........Any suggestions in Configuring User Profile and Social Computing?

Mike W

Monday, November 11, 2019 6:03 PM
  • I figured that out and got it to install correctly. Now it says I have to Configuring User Profiles and Social Computing. This is a Marathon........Any suggestions in Configuring User Profile and Social Computing?

Mike W

Start reading the below links

User Profile service overview
    Create a User Profile service applications in SharePoint Server

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Monday, November 11, 2019 6:22 PM
  • I already configured the User Profile Import, but it doesn't have any users profiles, which would have been populated from SharePoint 2010.

Monday, November 11, 2019 6:53 PM
  • Hi, Mike,

Are you using AD import? Please have a check on the  documentation. Have you finished upgrade user profile service application like this official doc

As your question start to change, please mark a reply as answer and open a new thread about your issue.

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:21 AM
  • Hi, Mike,

After a few days, is there any update about your issue? I am going give a brief summary about this thread. Please feel free to reply with any progress about your task.

Issue Symptom:
    Error message pops up when running the cmdlet New-SPMetadataServiceApplicationProxy. Error below:

ServiceApplication or URI must be specified when creating a proxy. at line:1 char:1

Possible Cause:
    Metadata service application and user profile service application are not properly created and configured.

Solution:
    Need to recreate and configure the two service applications

Reference Links:
    User Profile service overview
    Create a User Profile service applications in SharePoint Server

Upgrade service applications to SharePoint 2013

Best Regards

Jerry

Monday, November 25, 2019 8:34 AM