none
Process Cube SSAS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have the DIM_DATE dimension that has three relationships and DIM_Geography that has two relationships.

When I do the processing for SSAS these dimensions divide one for the number of relationships.

Ex: The DIM_DATE dimension that has three relationships to the fact, so it will have three dimensions when I do the processing.

How do I set dimensions so that when I render processing, only one dimension appears, such as the Product Dimension ?.

Thank you all
    _Keny

Keny Maciel da Silva DBA SQL Server MCSA - Administering a Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014 Database MCSA - Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014 MCTS - SQL Server 2008, Installation and Maintenance Email: kenymaciel@gmail.com

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:00 PM

All replies

• How do I set dimensions so that when I render processing, only one dimension appears, such as the Product Dimension ?.

What you've created there are known as role playing dimensions. If you have only one dimension how did you plan to specify which relationship should be used?

You could maybe hide the role playing dimensions that you don't want to see and then may use calculated measures with LINKMEMBER() expressions and create multiple measures (one per combination of role playing dimensions), but that is not something I've ever tried before.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 2:58 AM
  • Hi,

I need to see the Bill date and ship date, so I have two relationship on DIM_DATE.

Do you suggest not to use two relationship?
    Instead create another Dimension?

Tks,

_Keny

Keny Maciel da Silva DBA SQL Server MCSA - Administering a Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014 Database MCSA - Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014 MCTS - SQL Server 2008, Installation and Maintenance Email: kenymaciel@gmail.com

Monday, November 25, 2019 5:05 PM
  • I need to see the Bill date and ship date, so I have two relationship on DIM_DATE.

Do you suggest not to use two relationship?
    Instead create another Dimension?

So you can either create two relationships or two date dimensions. Either way if you want to do filtering and grouping on both Bill Date and Ship Date you need to display 2 copies of the date dimension. 

Personally I prefer to create 2 separate Date dimensions. It's a bit more work, but then you can name the attributes things like "Bill Year"  and "Ship Year" which makes it really clear to the users which dimension you are using. If you create 2 relationships the attributes will have identical names which can make it hard to tell which one is used in something like an Excel Pivot table.

Monday, November 25, 2019 9:20 PM
  • In this case then I will create 3 dimensions Date 'Bill, Ship and Due', but can I create these dimensions in the database?

Can I do the same thing for the Dim_Geography dimension, create two dimensions?

Thank you very much.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 2:48 PM
  • You should be able to create these dimensions directly in your SSAS project off the same DSV object I think

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 7:57 PM
  • Cool, I'll do it.

One more thing, whenever I have two relationships I create two dimensions?

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 3:19 PM
  • Cool, I'll do it.

One more thing, whenever I have two relationships I create two dimensions?

If the relationship is based on another column of fact table and same column of dimension table, you could do that,  then the end users could identify which column in the fact table has the relationship with dimension table.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 28, 2019 6:44 AM