none
Native XML vs relation data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Our application constructs XML reports by getting the XML file information from an SQL 2000 or 2005 database. 

we would like to find out if there would be better performance or not if we would no longer store the XML Reports definitions inside SQL database and rather keep them as files on the IIS server?

If for example 10-50-500 users are accessing reports in the application would overall performance be better if IIS would physically use the XML reports stored on its hard drive or continue constructing XML reports on the fly by retrieving the report's info from an SQL table?

Or may be you would suggest a different approach altogether?

Regards.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 12:37 PM

Answers

• How do save your XML information in SQL 2000 or SQL 2005?  I assume you save them as ntext.  If so, I don't think it has any advantage comparing to files except you have transaction and backup/restore features SQL bring in.

I suggest you try to save your XML information in SQL 2005 XML datatype - a new introduced data type.  Not only it can parse it to make sure the XML wellformness, but it allows you to query is using XQuery, and validated it using XSD, and index it if you care the query performance.  Since we save it as internal binary format, it also saves the space comparing to ntext or file.

You can read SQL 2005 BOL about this new datatype.

Monday, May 22, 2006 4:38 PM

All replies

• How do save your XML information in SQL 2000 or SQL 2005?  I assume you save them as ntext.  If so, I don't think it has any advantage comparing to files except you have transaction and backup/restore features SQL bring in.

I suggest you try to save your XML information in SQL 2005 XML datatype - a new introduced data type.  Not only it can parse it to make sure the XML wellformness, but it allows you to query is using XQuery, and validated it using XSD, and index it if you care the query performance.  Since we save it as internal binary format, it also saves the space comparing to ntext or file.

You can read SQL 2005 BOL about this new datatype.

Monday, May 22, 2006 4:38 PM
  • Hi,
          I also want to save my report definition into database. I  have saved the report into xml format in xml datatype field. But i'm facing problems reading it back from database and convert into xml document again.

Is there any demo for this purpose or any links that can guide me.

Thanks
    Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:24 AM