Marking your questions as Answered RRS feed

• General discussion

•  Hi All,

I want to make a pitch to have folks mark their questions as Answered once you've received an Answer that solves your problem. Everyone who posts a question has the ability to mark that question as Answered by clicking the Answered button for the Post that best answers the question.

There are a couple good reasons to do this:

• Our search engine weights Answered questions more highly. By marking Answers you increase the chances that others searching this forum will find the answer directly rather than re-posting the question.
    • You give credit to the hard working folks who answer your questions. This is peer to peer support, so recognition is our only reward. (Check out the Top Answerers in 30 Days chart at the bottom of the thread list to see who is currently answering questions.)
    • You help me track the health of this forum. I get mail every day telling me how many unanswered questions are in this forum and I work to keep those numbers at a certain level. By marking Answers, I get a more accurate understanding.

I apreciate everyone's participation in the SQL Setup & Upgrade Forum whether you're asking questions, answering question or just reading along. Marking Answers is one way we can all work together to make the forum a little better.

Regards,

Sam Lester

My Blog

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 5:21 AM

All replies

• this my first time using forum; how do i find out if there is a response to my posting? how long does a reply usually take?
    adach
    Monday, January 12, 2009 9:36 PM
  • Check the "How can I be notified of a reply to my post?" section in the Detailed FAQ here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/help

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    If you get your Question answered, please come back and mark the reply as an Answer, so others can find it.
    If you get helped by an Answer to someone else's question, please vote the Post as Helpful.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:08 AM
  • I try to give credit, since I do appreciate the effort people put in here, but...........

Occasionally I delay implementing the suggestions given, and so the issue isn't "closed" for me immediately.

Sometimes I implement the suggestion weeks later and then have a further question about it.

In these situations would you prefer that I mark the question "answered" immediately, and then start a new thread if I have further questions? 

It's not just laziness on my part.........often it's also uncertainty :)!

Thursday, May 6, 2010 8:04 PM
  • I genuinely want to offer help/advise but sometimes I feel some people are doing to so to collect/chase points. Those who propose an answer even marked their own suggestions as the answer. I prefer to let my peers to that; otherwise I will leave it as unanswered.

Friday, March 1, 2013 5:43 AM
  • The biggest reward for a person is to get appreciation or recognition for the help he gave to the one who needs, sometimes answers provided in this forum saves cost to company and also increases clients confidence on them as they provided valuable and quick answer.So please mark answers helpful or as answers it will be like an Index for people seraching for Answered post.

For Woon i would like to say for people who reply for points ....ultimately it is not going to provide you any money or any big recognition...its your knowlege which will help you

Thanks Samuel for this discussion

Soldier..Sir we are surrounded from all sides by enemy.. Major: Good, we can attack in any direction Thats attitude.. Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Monday, May 13, 2013 3:24 PM
  • However, I would like to ask moderators to not mark their own replies as answers. If the originator does not choose an answer, then let at least another moderator to mark your reply as answer. you should only propose your own replies. thank you

Christmas spirit all year long Please remember to vote on useful replies. Mark answers. Help to answer questions of others while you are visting the forums. Thank you.

Monday, December 7, 2015 4:32 PM