none
Installing SQL Server Express 2008 R2 Core Engine + Full Text Search Only. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

We redistribute SQL Server express 2008 R2 core engine and deploy it automatically without user intervention on customer’s machines. This has worked out fine for us so far.

Now we will be using the full text indexing part which only comes with the Advanced Services install. Our issue is that this download is about 800 MB (x64) which is obviously not viable for redistribution. So we tried to just use the sql_fulltext.msi directly and see if we can install the full text search service that way over the core install. Initially it complained about passing the instance ID which we did but now the msi installer just vanishes after extracting the contents. I have searched high and low to find the exact parameters to pass to this msi but came up dry. So help with the following will be greatly appreciated:

1.  Is it possible to use the sql_fulltext.msi to directly install the indexing service over a core installation? Where can we find the parameters doc for this?

2.  If the above is not possible is there a way to include just the full text search in the core installation? 

I have a feeling that this should somehow be possible as this is the express edition – meant for smaller installations and redistribution by ISVs.

Distributing 800 MB file with our installer or having our non-techy customers to download and install the necessary services would not be a viable option. 

Thank you in advance for your time and insights on this matter.

KP

Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:51 PM

Answers

• Hi K Tech,

The Full-text Search feature is available in SQL Server Express with Advanced Services Features edition and is no supported in SQL Server Express edition even if you add this feature to it.  According to you description, you might need to redistribute SQL Server Express with Advanced Services Features to apply the Full-text Search feature.

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

• Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:06 AM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi K Tech,

The Full-text Search feature is available in SQL Server Express with Advanced Services Features edition and is no supported in SQL Server Express edition even if you add this feature to it.  According to you description, you might need to redistribute SQL Server Express with Advanced Services Features to apply the Full-text Search feature.

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

• Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:06 AM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 8:21 AM
  • Hi K Tech,

This is a pretty old post, but I'm now in the same situation (with a newer version of SQL Server).

We plan to add FullText features to existing SQL Server 2016 instances installed on our customers environnements.

Downloading or integrating the "Advanced Service" setup in our solution seems too challenging (SQL "Advanced Service" setup is near 1.5GB).

I found the SQL_FULLTEXT.msi file in the SQL Server 2016 Express Advanced Services installation media.

I did not found any documentation about this msi file, or any ressource explaining how to launch it independently...

I tried to reverse engineer how this MSI is launched by the main SQL Server setup, but did not found a repeatable command line (embeded msis seems pretty obscure to me).

I finally managed to execute it from the shell with the parameter "instanceid", like so :

> .\SQL_FULLTEXT.MSI INSTANCEID=<nameofsqlinstance here>

The msi run with no error ...but I'm not shure this is a good option to get the feature well installed.

Did you managed to use sql_fulltext.msi on his own ? Did you get anny issue ?

Thank you,

Geoffrey

Thursday, July 18, 2019 4:04 PM