none
I couldn't start the SQL server instance in sql server configuration manager. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I had already installed sql server 2017 in my machine and one of my application installed SQL server 2008R2 express edition on my machine to run itself. After installed application isn't worked properly as it couldn't connect the server because sql server instance is in stopped state. And I couldn't start the service.

Note: If I install that same application on the machine, where sql server 2016 was installed, it is working fine.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 10:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please share server TLS settings and try to start MSSQl services with dedicated service account, which is having local administrator privileges.

Please try to install 2008 R2 +SP3 service pack @https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44271

Then MSSQL build version will upgrade to 10.50.6000.34, this will support  TLS 1.2 .

Please refer below SQl build versions & supporting, fixing issue details @https://sqlserverbuilds.blogspot.com/

Regards, Kiron

• Edited by -Kiron Friday, July 19, 2019 8:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arivazhagan K Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:50 AM
    Friday, July 19, 2019 7:42 AM

All replies

• Review SQL Server ErrorLog and Windows EventLog to see why the SQL Server Service won't start: Viewing the SQL Server Error Log

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 11:16 AM
  • Hi Arivazhagan K

Please share SQL & windows error logs   which SQL server services is not starting.

Regards, Kiron

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 11:17 AM
  • I am getting following error while I try to start from the services window

"error 1068 the dependency service or group failed to start"

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:05 PM
  • That's to less on Information, review the logs as already suggested.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:14 PM
  • Hi,

Please go through below MS article, will help you to fix the issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/307288/the-sql-server-service-and-the-sql-server-agent-service-fail-to-start

Regards, Kiron

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:14 PM
  • Hi Arivazhagan K,

>>"error 1068 the dependency service or group failed to start"

Would  you please try to change the service account of sql server 2008r2 to local system?

For more details, please refer to The SQL Server service and the SQL Server Agent Service fail to start on a stand-alone server

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:55 AM
  • Please find the below windows logs

FileMgr::StartLogFiles: Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.) occurred while creating or opening file 'e:\sql10_main_t.obj.x86fre\sql\mkmastr\databases\objfre\i386\MSDBLog.ldf'. Diagnose and correct the operating system error, and retry the operation.

TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x139f, status code 0x80. Reason: Unable to initialize SSL support. The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.

TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x139f, status code 0x1. Reason: Initialization failed with an infrastructure error. Check for previous errors. The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.

Could not start the network library because of an internal error in the network library. To determine the cause, review the errors immediately preceding this one in the error log.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:30 AM
  • Hi ,

Please let us know server OS details and MSSQL server version with build number details, suspecting the server having TLS setting issue to start MSSQL services. Plese provide below details.

select @@version

select SERVERPROPERTY('ProductVersion') AS ProductVersion

Lets us know server TLS setting details

Regards, Kiron

• Edited by -Kiron Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:49 AM .
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:45 AM

SQL Server: SQL Server 2008 R2 Express edition,  10.52.4000.0

Thursday, July 18, 2019 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

Please share server TLS settings and try to start MSSQl services with dedicated service account, which is having local administrator privileges.

Please try to install 2008 R2 +SP3 service pack @https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44271

Then MSSQL build version will upgrade to 10.50.6000.34, this will support  TLS 1.2 .

Please refer below SQl build versions & supporting, fixing issue details @https://sqlserverbuilds.blogspot.com/

Regards, Kiron

• Edited by -Kiron Friday, July 19, 2019 8:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arivazhagan K Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:50 AM
    Friday, July 19, 2019 7:42 AM
  • SQL Server 2008 R2 is not supported on Windows 10, see MS Support: Using SQL Server in Windows 8 and later versions of Windows operating system

Upgrade your instance to a newer Version as it's best to latest Version 2017.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, July 19, 2019 8:12 AM
  • Thank you Olaf Helper for sharing OS support details link, it will help me issue troubleshooting process.

For SQL Server 2008 R2

SQL Server 2008 R2 is not supported on Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016. (In above Link data)

@Arivazhagan K

For your information.

Regards, Kiron

Friday, July 19, 2019 10:36 AM
  • After changing TLS settings, I could start the sql server service. But it requires to change the TLS settings before installation. If I made changes on TLS settings after sql server 20008 r2 installation then I couldn't start the service again. SP3 service pack is also not working. Is there any other way available to make it work without changing the TLS settings?

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 9:34 AM
  • Why don't you use the current Version SQL Server 2017, here I wouldnt expect such issues?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:13 PM