none
Unable to install SQL Server (-2061893607) "Could not find the Database Engine startup handle" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to install SQL Server 2017 Express Edition, just the basic configuration, and I'm getting the following error when I do so.

Oops...

Unable to install SQL Server (setup.exe).

Exit code (Decimal): -2061893607Error description: Could not find the Database Engine startup handle.

I check the Detail.txt file in the setup log folder and see the following possibly relevant lines:

Error result: -2061893607
    Result facility code: 1306
    Result error code: 25

How do I resolve this?

Monday, July 15, 2019 9:04 AM

All replies

• Hello

Below link has helped me in solving similar problem i came across.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/24364.sql-server-troubleshooting-could-not-find-database-engine-startup-handle-error-during-installation.aspx

Hope this helps you as well.

Basheer Syed

Monday, July 15, 2019 9:06 AM
  • I've tried uninstalling all SQL Server components, rebooted, and then reinstalling, but I'm still getting the error.

Really stuck, any ideas?

Monday, July 15, 2019 9:59 AM
  • I've tried uninstalling all SQL Server components, rebooted, and then reinstalling, but I'm still getting the error.

Really stuck, any ideas?

do you have admin right on the machine? mostly because of permission issue.
    Monday, July 15, 2019 10:06 AM
  • The link given in the link in my earlier reply gives a complete solution. When you uninstall, make sure to remove certain registry entries and rename sql folders before installing again. when you install again, make sure to use NT Authority\SYSTEM as startup account for Database Engine service. It will fix your problem.

Basheer Syed

Monday, July 15, 2019 10:07 AM
  • Exit code (Decimal): -2061893607Error description: Could not find the Database Engine startup handle.

This error means that Setup were not able to start SQL Server to run install scripts. There can be multiple reasons for this.

You need to look in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG to get more specific diagnostics.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Monday, July 15, 2019 11:17 AM

Really stuck, any ideas?

do you have admin right on the machine? mostly because of permission issue.
    Yes, I have admin rights.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:16 AM
  • Exit code (Decimal): -2061893607Error description: Could not find the Database Engine startup handle.

This error means that Setup were not able to start SQL Server to run install scripts. There can be multiple reasons for this.

You need to look in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG to get more specific diagnostics.

Here's the errorlog - https://pastebin.com/ui0a91gS
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:17 AM
  • The link given in the link in my earlier reply gives a complete solution. When you uninstall, make sure to remove certain registry entries and rename sql folders before installing again. when you install again, make sure to use NT Authority\SYSTEM as startup account for Database Engine service. It will fix your problem.

Basheer Syed

Removed all registry entries and folders, rebooted, and re-installed. Still no luck - same error.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:40 AM
  • Here's the errorlog - https://pastebin.com/ui0a91gS

There are the relevant errors:

2019-07-15 17:55:54.34 spid16s     Initializing the FallBack certificate failed with error code: 1, state: 20, error number: 0.
    2019-07-15 17:55:54.34 spid16s     Unable to initialize SSL encryption because a valid certificate could not be found, and it is not possible to create a self-signed certificate.
    2019-07-15 17:55:54.34 spid16s     Error: 17182, Severity: 16, State: 1.
    2019-07-15 17:55:54.34 spid16s     TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x80092004, status code 0x80. Reason: Unable to initialize SSL support. Cannot find object or property.
    2019-07-15 17:55:54.34 spid16s     TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x80092004, status code 0x1. Reason: Initialization failed with an infrastructure error. Check for previous errors. Cannot find object or property.
    2019-07-15 17:55:54.34 spid16s     Error: 17826, Severity: 18, State: 3.
    2019-07-15 17:55:54.34 spid16s     Could not start the network library because of an internal error in the network library. To determine the cause, review the errors immediately preceding this one in the error log.

Usually this is due to a corrupted user profile. And since you typically create a new user when you install SQL Server (if you go with the defaults, that is what you get), this means that the default user profile is corrupted. A solution can be to copy the user profile from another computer running the same version of Windows 10.

I have run into this myself at some point, and I was able to resolve it after googling around a bit.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 7:46 AM
  • Hi scorcho,

>>TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x80092004, status code 0x80. Reason: Unable to initialize SSL support. Cannot find object or property.

The value 0x80092004 is an SSPI error code that translates to CRYPT_E_NOT_FOUND. This error was generated by SSL because it could not locate the certificate. Here are the possible causes

SQL Server Startup account (service account) does not have permission or does not have a local profile in the system.

The SQL server startup account cannot access a pre-existing key container needed to create the self-signed certificate.

The easiest way is to modify the sql server startup account to local system:

Or you can deleted the SID.bak entries in registry. Please refer to the steps in the link: https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2018/11/12/sql-server-initializing-the-fallback-certificate-failed-with-error-code-1-state-20-error-number-0/

Hope this could help you .

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:24 AM
  • Hi scorcho,

>>TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x80092004, status code 0x80. Reason: Unable to initialize SSL support. Cannot find object or property.

The value 0x80092004 is an SSPI error code that translates to CRYPT_E_NOT_FOUND. This error was generated by SSL because it could not locate the certificate. Here are the possible causes

SQL Server Startup account (service account) does not have permission or does not have a local profile in the system.

The SQL server startup account cannot access a pre-existing key container needed to create the self-signed certificate.

The easiest way is to modify the sql server startup account to local system:

Or you can deleted the SID.bak entries in registry. Please refer to the steps in the link: https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2018/11/12/sql-server-initializing-the-fallback-certificate-failed-with-error-code-1-state-20-error-number-0/

Hope this could help you .

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Hi,

In my SQL Server 2017 Configuration Manager->SQL Server Services, I only have 3 entries on the right window pane:

SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)

SQL Server Agent (SQLEXPRESS)

SQL Server Browser.

Which account do I change to Local System?

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 1:36 AM
  •  You need to change the account of SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) to Local System. It is sql server engine service.

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 2:02 AM
  • when you are installing again after uninstalling. on the server configuration page, please select startup account for Database Engine services as NT Authority\SYSTEM which is also called as Local System account.

This has fixed this exact same error when I was trying to install MSSQL Express edtiion in a windows 7 machine.

Basheer Syed

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 10:41 AM
  •  You need to change the account of SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) to Local System. It is sql server engine service.

MSDN Community Support

I get the following error when doing so.

I even tried adding the MSSQL service account (NT service\MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS) to local administrators group, and still get the same error.

Not sure if it matters, but I also checked Computer Management->Services and Applications->Services->SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) Properties->Log On, and it's already configured to log on as Local System account.

• Edited by scorcho Wednesday, July 17, 2019 12:35 PM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 12:21 PM
  • Any other ideas? I'm still stuck :(
    Friday, July 26, 2019 8:23 AM
  • Have you tried repairing corrupted user profiles yet? See my previous post.

Friday, July 26, 2019 9:45 PM
  • Here's the errorlog - https://pastebin.com/ui0a91gS

There are the relevant errors:

2019-07-15 17:55:54.34 spid16s     Initializing the FallBack certificate failed with error code: 1, state: 20, error number: 0.
    2019-07-15 17:55:54.34 spid16s     Unable to initialize SSL encryption because a valid certificate could not be found, and it is not possible to create a self-signed certificate.
    2019-07-15 17:55:54.34 spid16s     TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x80092004, status code 0x80. Reason: Unable to initialize SSL support. Cannot find object or property.
    2019-07-15 17:55:54.34 spid16s     TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x80092004, status code 0x1. Reason: Initialization failed with an infrastructure error. Check for previous errors. Cannot find object or property.
    2019-07-15 17:55:54.34 spid16s     Error: 17826, Severity: 18, State: 3.
    2019-07-15 17:55:54.34 spid16s     Could not start the network library because of an internal error in the network library. To determine the cause, review the errors immediately preceding this one in the error log.

Usually this is due to a corrupted user profile. And since you typically create a new user when you install SQL Server (if you go with the defaults, that is what you get), this means that the default user profile is corrupted. A solution can be to copy the user profile from another computer running the same version of Windows 10.

I have run into this myself at some point, and I was able to resolve it after googling around a bit.

Hi,

How do I copy the user profile from another computer? What folder/files would I need to copy?

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 8:01 AM
  • How do I copy the user profile from another computer? What folder/files would I need to copy?

At this point, you need to Google around. Or ask in a Windows forum, if you don't feel confident with the procedure.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 10:30 AM
  • How do I copy the user profile from another computer? What folder/files would I need to copy?

At this point, you need to Google around. Or ask in a Windows forum, if you don't feel confident with the procedure.

Are you talking about the SQL Server user profile, or a Windows user account?
    Tuesday, July 30, 2019 12:13 PM
  • When you install SQL Server, by default, SQL Server will be set to run under a service SID, NT Service\MSSQLSERVER for a default instance. This is a Windows user, you will find it under C:\Users.

When you create a new user in Windows, its profile is copied from the default user, which is also under C:\Users. To confuse, I find three or four with names which starts with "default" on the machines that I have at hand. Which one is actually used, I don't know on the top of my head.

Sometimes there can be corruption in the default profile (don't ask me how it happens), and when you create new users, they inherit the corruption, and in the case of SQL Server, this can prevent the creation of certificates needed for communication with clients.

As I said, I have run into this myself, and I think I found a suggestion to copy a certain file from another machine running the same version of Windows 10, but in the end I think I recovered it from a backup.

I don't want to go into details, because it was a while since I did this, and I am just a plain user when it comes to Windows, by no means an expert.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 9:35 PM