none
SQL Server 2012 Consolidation and Rationalization RRS feed

• Question

• Hello There,

Kindly advise me pointer and useful inputs, views to consider on the SQL Server 2012 consolidation and Rationalization.

In our environment there are 40 SQL Server Instances running. Business like to consolidate them as much as possible.

1 Where to start

2. what are the criteria,

3. how to assess the current performance

4. how to validate to ensure in terms performance and security post consolidation

Thanks, Siva SQL

Sivaprasad S http://sivasql.blogspot.com Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Monday, July 22, 2019 10:43 AM

All replies

• Hello Siva,

1) Use Microsoft Assessment and Planning tool kit.

2) Discover how your environment looks using inventory report.

3) Configure a performance monitor collection using MAPS tool for period your stakeholders will accept to. Please note that it will collect only windows level counters. May be you can schedule perfmon to collect SQL counters manually.

4) Performance monitor collection using MAPS will provide you 95th percentile utilization . You can use this to understand how much resources each server actually requires for the days perfmon was collected and you can use this as a basis to start consolidation.

5) MAPS tool can provide you consolidation recommendation using "Server consolidation wizard".

These are the basics with which you can start. There is more to it, but this will surely help you.

Regards;
    Vivek Janakiraman
    ----------------------------
    My Blog
    My Linkedin Page
    ----------------------------

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 12:32 AM