Hierarchy visible vs Enables properties in cube structure RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy everyone,

I am looking to hide a dimension hierarchy in one cube but not another, I have successfully done this on the cube structure tab by selecting the hierarchy and then toggling either the Visible or Enabled properties to False.  

I am however unclear on what the difference between the visible and enabled is? 

does anyone know? and which situations to use which option 

Thanks BI

• Edited by BI_Baracus Tuesday, February 16, 2016 11:15 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:46 AM

Answers

• Hi BI_Baracus,

You are right. If a cube hierarchy is disabled, this hierarchy will not be created during processing. You can never call this hierarchy in your MDX query.

But if you only make a hierarchy invisible, this hierarchy only disappear in list when you accessing from any client tool, but you can still use this hierarchy in MDX query.

Regards,

Simon Hou
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by BI_Baracus Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:22 AM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 4:03 AM

All replies

• I have a suspicion that the enabled relates to the attribute hierarchy enables property which if disabled wont build it during processing where as visibility will still build the hierarchy but it wont display it.

Thoughts?

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 12:04 PM
  • Hi BI_Baracus,

You are right. If a cube hierarchy is disabled, this hierarchy will not be created during processing. You can never call this hierarchy in your MDX query.

But if you only make a hierarchy invisible, this hierarchy only disappear in list when you accessing from any client tool, but you can still use this hierarchy in MDX query.

Regards,

Simon Hou
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by BI_Baracus Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:22 AM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 4:03 AM