none
Object was not found in the cube when the string was parsed ERROR in PowerPivot RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting the following error when I refresh my Excel workbook that is extensively tied to PowerPivot.

Data could not be retrieved from the external data source.

Error message returned by the external data source:

Query (17,157) The level '&[ABC]' object was not found in the cube when the string, [Raw_Data].[Subsystem_Abbreviation].&[ABC], was parsed.

I have tried to find a way to troubleshoot the cause and am stumped. Since it is PowerPivot I can't see the MDX so I don't know how to fix this error.

I'm forced to run PowewrPivot version 10.51.2500.0 and cannot upgrade.

I'm running Excel 2010 version 14.0.6126.5003 with SP1 MSO 14.0.6129.5000

I created a trace and found the error but don't know how to relate it back to the Excel workbook.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 4:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Whalensdad,

This issue might be caused by the "&[ABC]" object doesn't exist in your cube data source(Maybe your cube structure changed or update cube objects).

Please refer to the following steps to redesign the MDX query to retrieve data from your cube:

1. Open PowerPivot window and select "Design" tab.
    2. Select the corresponding table, and then click "Table properties" to modify the MDX query.

Here is the screenshot:

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 8, 2013 6:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Whalensdad,

This issue might be caused by the "&[ABC]" object doesn't exist in your cube data source(Maybe your cube structure changed or update cube objects).

Please refer to the following steps to redesign the MDX query to retrieve data from your cube:

1. Open PowerPivot window and select "Design" tab.
    2. Select the corresponding table, and then click "Table properties" to modify the MDX query.

Here is the screenshot:

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 8, 2013 6:05 AM
  • You have to do the re pivot it. I fixed it by taking out rows and column and again bring it back. Hope it will fix your issue.
    Thursday, June 7, 2018 12:13 PM
  • I am facing the same problem while running the mdx in SSMS.

The mdx is as follows.

SELECT {[Account].&[100]} Dimension Properties [Parent_Unique_Name] on rows,
    {{[Time].&[5070]}} Dimension Properties [Parent_Unique_Name] On Columns 
    From RepCube 
    Where ([Scenario].&[1],[Company].&[1],[Department].&[1],
    [Measures].[MTD])

Here [Account].&[100] represents the expression as ([Account].&[3]+[Account].&[4]) and user dont have access on [Account].&[4]. Dimension security is applied.

any idea on this.

Thanks,
    Narendra

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 11:50 PM
  • The following worked for me:

in Excel main window (NOT in the PowerPivot window)

I have found an existing pivot, which was blank (without any values, and all the slicers were "grey" - not available for selection) cleared the filters and error disappeared.

Sunday, June 30, 2019 12:19 PM
  • I couldn't clear the filters manually, but removed a couple of slicers and the pivots got unlocked. 

Thanks for the idea...

Thursday, October 31, 2019 12:46 PM