Marking your question as Answered RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,

I want to make a pitch to have folks mark their questions as Answered once you've received an Answer that solves your problem. Everyone who posts a question has the ability to mark that question as Answered by clicking the Answered button for the Post that best answers the question.

There are a couple good reasons to do this:

• Our search engine weights Answered questions more highly. By marking Answers you increase the chances that others searching this forum will find the answer directly rather than re-posting the question.
    • You give credit to the hard working folks who answer your questions. This is peer to peer support, so recognition is our only reward. (Check out the Top Answerers in 30 Days chart at the bottom of the thread list to see who is currently answering questions.)
    • You help me track the health of this forum. I get mail every day telling me how many unanswered questions are in this forum and I work to keep those numbers at a certain level. By marking Answers, I get a more accurate understanding.

I apreciate everyone's participation in the SQL Express Forum whether you're asking questions, answering question or just reading along. Marking Answers is one way we can all work together to make the forum a little better.

Regards,

Mike Wachal
    SQL Express team

Wednesday, November 1, 2006 3:25 AM

All replies

• Hello, Mike,
       I am new at posting to MSDN forums.  I received numerous very helpful responses, and have marked most of them as helpful - which to me means that I am "on the way" to solving my current problems, no longer "stuck".  But as a new user of Expression, I won't really know until my application gets launched which should be marked as "the" answer.   A)  Should I mark as "The Answer" some answer now?  If I mark one, will that block me from marking some of the others as "The Answer"?

I would definitely say that this thread would be worth reading for some struggling new user like myself.  So committing to "The Answer" would be good for the search engine?  And how would I pick just one?  That would not be accurate...

I realize your note is dataed 10/2006!

E Babb
    E Babb
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Hello, Mike

In addition to E Babb's question, I'd like to ask if the responder is supposed to propose his own post as the answer or if we should wait for another responder to propose the post as answer (I realize that only the thread starter can mark as answer, but my question is about proposing as answer).

Razvan
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:43 AM
  • Hello,

It is logical that the original poster may not mark his/her own post as "the good answer" .
    Anyway , the original poster cannot get any point with his own posts ( and with the "good answer" ).
    But a moderator may always mark any post as the "good answer" , when he thinks that it is the case.

Have a nice day
    Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helped you. Unmark if it provides no help
    Friday, February 6, 2009 6:43 AM
  • Many times, the post is a compound question with many parts, or when a question is answered, there is immediately a 'follow-on' question, or expansion.

It seems that anytime someone provides information that correctly answers a question asked -EVEN if the thread is not yet complete, the person offering that information deserves 'credit'.

Some threads can contain many questions, and some questions can have many answers. Practice generousity and give credit where credit is due. Giving credit is analygous to saying "Thanks for your help".

Why would you not offer your sincere thanks to someone that freely gave you their time, attention, and effort to help you solve your problem?
    "You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it will be too late." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 8:23 PM
  • I posted an question this morning, and it was solved by two responses. I had voted their answers as helpful.

How do I mark my question as answered? (I tried to click the question mark, did not work)

Frank Tu
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:06 PM
  • Hi Iecceman,

There should be a "Mark As Answer" button next to Reply and Quote...

- Vishal

SqlAndMe.com

Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:28 PM
  • HOw do we make sure we get our questions answered......  Should the moderators not take over if no one else can answer
    Monday, May 16, 2011 7:03 PM
  • Moderators should never mark a question as answered -- kind of a forum golden rule. There are about a billion questions with marked answers, and the original poster did not receive a working solution.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:30 PM
  • If you read the thread from BOTTOM  (to save time), you will see I have described a Performance Issue in SQL Server Express 2017, 2012 and a test to reproduce it. I have not received any metrics or Answers or Proposed Answers.

The question you asked at the start of that thread is an entirely different one than the question at the bottom. That makes it much more difficult for the community to answer.

I think it would be better to start a new thread with your new question, including only the last question asked and perhaps providing a link to the original thread for context. The SQL Server Database Engine forum would be appropriate since the question is not specific to Express Edition.

Dan Guzman, Data Platform MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

Sunday, October 14, 2018 11:18 AM