none
Error enabling FILESTREAM on SQL 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to enable FILESTREAM functionality on SQL Server 2019 Configuration Manager, but it's always giving this error:

---------------------------
    FILESTREAM
    There was an unknown error applying the FILESTREAM settings.

Check the parameters are valid. (0x800706f8)
    OK   

Checking winerror.h, 0x800706F8 means "The supplied user buffer is not valid for the requested operation.", which is a very generic error message.

I already tried changing the SQL Server service login to a local account with admin rights, tried enabling FILESTREAM through sp_configure, tried reinstalling SQL with FILSTREAM feature activated during setup, which botched the installation with error message "The supplied user buffer is not valid for the requested operation.", tried disabling AV, tried adding exception rules for SQL Server executable on Windows Defender Exploit Protection, basically every workaround that I've found on the internet.

I checked the event viewer and found this entry:

The RsFx0600 Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
    The supplied user buffer is not valid for the requested operation.

I've found out that RsFx is a driver that SQLServer installs to handle FILESTREAM functionality and that it gave problems on previous versions.

I'm running SQL Server 2019 Developer Edition on Windows 10 Enterprise 1909, here is the output of select @@version:

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 (RTM-GDR) (KB4517790) - 15.0.2070.41 (X64)   Oct 28 2019 19:56:59   Copyright (C) 2019 Microsoft Corporation  Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows 10 Enterprise 10.0 <X64> (Build 18363: ) (Hypervisor)

I'm completely out of ideas of what to try and fix this issue. I really need to have filestream enabled to be able to work on a project.

Thanks in advance,

David

Friday, December 6, 2019 11:04 PM

Answers

• After formatting my machine and installing everything from zero, I've found what is causing this.

If I enable Windows feature "Guarded Host", the RsFx0600 driver for SQL Server filestream doesn't start.

Is there a way to report this bug to SQL Server team?

With regards,

David

Saturday, January 11, 2020 11:27 PM

All replies

• I seem to be able to use Filestream on Windows 10 1909, so it does not seem that it is new new Windows version that breaks Filestream. (I seem to recall that this has happened.)

You say that you disabled the AV. Unfortunately, that may not enough, but you may have to install it. I had a situation many years back (on SQL 2008) where SQL Server did not play well with my anti-malware program. (Microsoft acknowledged that particular issue as a bug and fixed it for SQL 2012.) Overall, also check if you have other filter drivers installed. It may be that they conflict with the Filestream driver.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Saturday, December 7, 2019 10:02 AM
  • Hi David Yanagaki Bonafé,

Did you use SQL server 2019 configure manager? Did you restart your computer after installed SQL server 2019? Did you try to enable the Filestream  from registry editor? The key value is located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQLServer\MSSQL15.instancename\MSSQLServer\Filestream. As always, change the registry at your own risk. Taking a backup of the registry is also a good idea.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, December 9, 2019 10:08 AM
  • Yeah, did try uninstalling AV too, still the same issue. I really don't understand why MS had to use such a low level concept (filter driver) to enable FILESTREAM feature, no wonder it's not working on SQL Server for Linux yet...
    Friday, December 20, 2019 6:34 PM
  • Yep, it's a recently installed machine with only SQL Server 2019. Used 2019 configuration manager, rebooted, tried activating through registry, but it's still showing FILESTREAM as disabled when selecting running values on server configuration. Still can't enable it.
    Friday, December 20, 2019 6:40 PM
  • Hi David,

Could you please  execute below  T-SQL and see if you get a more meaningful error message?

EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options',1 go RECONFIGURE GO EXEC sp_configure filestream_access_level, 2 GO RECONFIGURE GO

And please check the values of File Stream in instance properties as below screenshot.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, December 25, 2019 8:41 AM
  • Hi Cathy,

Before I already could setup FILESTREAM on server properties, but it would only show Full access on configured values, running values would show disabled even after server restart. But I tried your commands anyway to look for any error message, but it didn't. They all ran without errors and the result is still the same, configured values show Full access and running values show Disabled, server restart included.

With regards,

David

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 8:39 PM
  • After formatting my machine and installing everything from zero, I've found what is causing this.

If I enable Windows feature "Guarded Host", the RsFx0600 driver for SQL Server filestream doesn't start.

Is there a way to report this bug to SQL Server team?

With regards,

David

Saturday, January 11, 2020 11:27 PM
  • Is there a way to report this bug to SQL Server team?

Submit a bug report on the feedback site: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server

Dan Guzman, Data Platform MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

Sunday, January 12, 2020 12:48 AM

I was not able to repeat this.

I found it worthwhile to investigate, since "Guarded host" needs to be available if you want to use Always Encrypted with Enclaves.

I took my template Windows Pro VM, upgraded it to Windows 10 1909 and clone it. I enabled Guarded Host and rebooted. I installed SQL 2019. Rebooted again. I opened SSCM and enabled FILESTREAM. First I only enabled the first checkbox, and then the other two. This went with without problem. In the next moment, I did run into a snag: I realised wanted TCP/IP to be enabled, and then tried to restart the service. But the "Stopping" dialog just hung without progress. During this period I was able to access SQL Server through SQLCMD (no SSMS on this machine), and I could enabled Filestream on SQL Server level and create a filestream database.

Eventually, I rebooted Windows, and after this I can stop and start SQL Server normally from SSCM, it seems.

I'm not saying that the Guarded Host feature is involved, but it appears that in such case there is more to it.

I should add that I don't any anti-malware software on my VM. I think I have even disabled Windows Defender.

Sunday, January 12, 2020 7:32 PM
  • Could it be because you're doing it inside a VM? My guess this issue only happens on Host OSes, since Guarded Host is a feature to create shielded VMs (what the description said), and VM OSes won't host another VMs. Maybe whatever changes to Windows this feature make, they differ between VM and Host OSes.
    Monday, January 13, 2020 8:44 AM
  • Could it be because you're doing it inside a VM? My guess this issue only happens on Host OSes, since Guarded Host is a feature to create shielded VMs (what the description said), and VM OSes won't host another VMs. Maybe whatever changes to Windows this feature make, they differ between VM and Host OSes.

I can't see what Windows would care whether the machine is physical or virtual.

Then again, that reminds ms that with the old VM that I used for testing Always Encrypted with Enclaves, I had to enable VBS (Virtualization Based Security). Unfortunately, when I tried to enable VBS for the new VM, I get a boot menu when I start. I don't recall that this happened the previous time. (I don't have the old VM around anymore; it had CTP 2.2 on it, and I did not want to uninstall and install RTM, because that could affect the test, I thought.)

I will need to look into this at some point, since I may want to have environment where I can use AE with Enclaves, but I don't have the time tonight.

Monday, January 13, 2020 10:52 PM