none
Automatically Redirecting a Report to another Report RRS feed

• Question

• I have a report that currently evaluates the NT User information and determines if that user is the "HR Role" required to see version 1 or version 2 of the report (deployed as two separate reports because Version 1 has more content than Version 2).

I would like to have the report automatically redirect the user to Version 2 if their extracted user information doesn't meet the requirements to see the first version. Is it possible to automatically redirect the Version 1 to the Version 2 report, based on the username (which populates a parameter)?

Thank you so much!

Paul
    Monday, August 9, 2010 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Velcr0,

In SQL Server Reporting Service (SSRS), we could put all the information in one report and display information based on the authentication information.

Since this question is more related to SSRS, I recommend that you ask it in SQL Server Reporting Services. Then you will get quicker support.

Meanwhile are you using ASP.NET or other technique?

If you are using ASP.NET, we could identify the authentication information and decide which report to be displayed.

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:04 AM

All replies

• I dont think that its possbile through any configurations in SSRS.

But still you can make it through having a .net layer on top of it.

Please mark the post as answered to help others to choose the best.
    chandra sekhar pathivada | www.calsql.com (SQL Server Community Website)
    Monday, August 9, 2010 7:34 PM
  • I am strictly a Reporting Services developer and haven't had much experience with ".net". Could you possibly provide me with a link that I could use to educate myself on this possible workaround?

Thanks!!

Monday, August 9, 2010 8:46 PM
  • How about if you make it a parent-children report structure? In the master (parent) report you display the appropriate link (hide the other) based on the user info and ask the user to click to drillthrough to the target report?
    Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; SQL 2008 GRAND SLAM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:26 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but that's exactly how we're doing it now. My superior doesn't want the end user to be required to click a link again to get there...wants it to be an automatic redirect.

Thanks for your help so far, forum!
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:56 PM
  • You can make a suggestion at Connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer

If you do, can you post the link here? Thanks.

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; SQL 2008 GRAND SLAM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:48 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Velcr0,

In SQL Server Reporting Service (SSRS), we could put all the information in one report and display information based on the authentication information.

Since this question is more related to SSRS, I recommend that you ask it in SQL Server Reporting Services. Then you will get quicker support.

Meanwhile are you using ASP.NET or other technique?

If you are using ASP.NET, we could identify the authentication information and decide which report to be displayed.

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:04 AM