none
Check FIle in Use of upgrading SQL server Cumulative Update RRS feed

• Question

• I am DBA of SQL Server 2014 Enterprise SP2. SQL server is installed on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard that is virtual server.

I got this warning message as below during 'Check File in Use' process when I manually patch kb4505419 to upgrade my SQL server from SP2-CU11 to SP2-CU17.

I forcedly stop two process WMI Provider Host from task manager as below, then I could go on patching process.

My concern is what is the cause of the warning message. What can I do not to show this message up from next time?

I also would like to know if I do patching for SQL server, should I stop the all SQL server services before patching?

Any advice will be appreciated.  

• Edited by KELLY_IRVINE Thursday, July 18, 2019 5:20 AM better title
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 1:46 AM

All replies

• The message means that the process uses some assemblies which should be updated, but can't because they are in use. You can stop the process, otherwise you may have to reboot the server to finish the update. No, you don't need to stop SQL Server, the installer perform all required steps.

At all, this is nothing really SQL Server related, it's a simple Windows OS thing.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, July 18, 2019 5:52 AM
  • You are getting this message because there is some other process which is holding a lock in the file which is required for the sql set up to complete the upgrade.

From the screenshot process with ID 3648 is holding lock , you can easily identify this process if you click on the services tab in the task manager and you will be able to find the PID and service name there also you can kill that process from there it self

This link will be helpful for you https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/sql-server/install/check-files-in-use?view=sql-server-2014

Thanks, Nithin

Thursday, July 18, 2019 6:26 AM
  • Hi KELLY_IRVINE,

>>My concern is what is the cause of the warning message. What can I do not to show this message up from next time?

In order not to let your production server not need to restart after updating patches.  Check Files in Use will identify processes that are locking files required by the SQL Server update Setup program.

If 'Check Files in Use' determines that files are locked during installation, you will be prompted to restart the server after update is completed.

To eliminate the requirement to restart your computer after update, you need to end the processes in the list of 'Check Files in Use'.

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, July 19, 2019 5:47 AM
  • I got this warning message as below during 'Check File in Use' process when I manually patch kb4505419 to upgrade my SQL server from SP2-CU11 to SP2-CU17.

My experience is that these messages are often bogus. I get them when i am about to an an upgrade, but I have never have to restart(*). Of course, I may be lucky, and if this is a production server, there may be other things running on the machine that makes you not want to reboot Windows.

(*) When I download and install a CU. There was a GDR released recently, and every instance that needed the GDR required reboot, but I suppose this was because I let Windows Update take care of it.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Friday, July 19, 2019 9:06 PM
  • Like Erland said message is useless just ignore it, click on next and after installation if it asks for restart go ahead and do it. People normally take downtime for applying SP so utilize in and reboot the server

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Saturday, July 20, 2019 5:51 AM