none
Data not visible to users that are members of more than one SSAS Role definition. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a report that utilizes a SSAS cube as it's data source. The cube has about 25 different Role definitions in it. Users that are members of more than one role cannot see any data when they run the report. However, these same users CAN see the appropriate data when accessing the cube directly via Excel Pivot Tables. ANd, if a user is only a member of ONE role, it works fine.

We have the Report security set up to allow access to NT AUTHORITY/Authenticated Users (for browsing and several other IT-related Content Mgmt roles), figuring that the Cube security would take over in terms of what data the user is allowed to see (if any). In other words, if a user is NOT a member of any of the Roles defined in the cube, they would be able to see the report in the tile view, but as soon as they click it to execute it, it would fail since they don't have access to the cube.

Do I need to add all 25 roles to the SSRS security page for this report?

Any ideas on what would stop SSRS from retrieving data for users that are members of more than one SSAS role?

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:06 PM

All replies

• Hi JPtak,

In SQL Server Reporting Services, we can only assign a role to a local/domain user/group in a report server. We cannot assign an Item-level or a System-level role to a cube role. In SQL Server Analysis Services, the permissions across multiple roles are additive. Based on the current information, I suggest that you check whether there are permissions conflicts between roles. For more information, please see:

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 18, 2013 3:15 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. As I stated in my original post, the security configuration in SSAS is working as designed regardless of how many roles a user is a member of. When users access the cube via Excel, everything works as expected.

The problem arises when users hit the cube from SSRS...AND they are members of more than one SSAS security role. If they are a member of only one role, the report works and returns data. When they are a member of > 1 SSAS role, the  report runs, but doesn't return any data.

Monday, March 18, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Hi JPtak,

Thank you for your posting.

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:24 AM
  • Hi,

Try to apply this patch http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2659075

Regards,
    Christian HL
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:25 AM
  • We have an upgrade to the latest SP and CU's planned. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened yet...
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:00 PM