Adventure Works 2012

• Hi,

With so many versions of the Adventure Works DB being available as well as samples, is there any body who could explain each download and if appropriate which tutorial it relates to.

Sorry if this sounds quite a basic question, but for someone at the beginning of learning SQL Sever each quite a mystery. I have read the documentation and it explains some of the downloads, but not all of them.

Peter Jones

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 2:34 PM

• Hi Peter, I agree that they are overly complex when getting started with SQL Server.  I wrote a blog entry a while ago outlining the basics of getting started with AdventureWorks broken out by SQL Server version.  My suggestion would be to grab the "basic" version based on your version of SQL Server (2008, 2008 R2, 2012, etc.).  Start with that, get familiar with it, & read through and execute Books Online samples that use the AdventureWorks schema.  There's more than enough to get started with.  Once you get to a point where you need more, you can start to dig into the other versions of AdventureWorks.

Sam Lester (MSFT)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, August 11, 2013 5:04 PM